Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #1
Bee

Electrical Wiring Kit and All!

Can someone provide me with a magical link that take me to a page that will provide me with a full on wiring Kit, that has everything I need and all I have to do is provide my mailing address and payment please? I can only handle so much searching and researching and MIXED REVIEWS! Can't everyone just agree on the same thing that works so that noobs like me can then feel at ease when pulling the trigger on certain products and layouts?

I'm working on my 2006 Ford E250 Cargo Long GROUND UP BUILD and would like to get my electrical and prewiring done ASAP so I can start insulating/paneling. I want shore power inlet and solar (which I can add panels later). I'm powering a future fridge, future microwave, lighting and whatnot, and some basic electrical outlets for today's modern technology needs (iPad, charging devices, stereo, tiny electric heater).

I saw a link that showed what SMB uses under this electrical thread with product numbers and all but it had no diagrams and I'm a visual learner. Essentially, if there's a kit, I'll just go with that to save me time. Thanks.

PS, I've tried the search tool. I might as well search thru the forum pages like I already have been than keep using that.

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:25 AM   #2

Re: Electrical Wiring Kit and All!

If it was easy everyone would do it, right?

All kidding aside, I've never seen a one-stop shop for an electrical 'kit', though perhaps that is a good business plan for someone! The problem is that a 'kit' would never be right for everyone.

In all my research, this forum has probably been the best resource for electrical questions - lots of super knowledgeable folks.

Best to just start sketching things out and see if it makes sense, then sound it off of people here.

FWIW, this is how my last van electrical system began life:
Old 03-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #3

By "kit" do you mean all appliances, wires, connectors, etc.? Or a tool kit?

Half the fun of doing a home build is figuring all this stuff out and selecting the perfect item for your needs, rather than having to use something generic that someone else picked out.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
By "kit" do you mean all appliances, wires, connectors, etc.? Or a tool kit?

Half the fun of doing a home build is figuring all this stuff out and selecting the perfect item for your needs, rather than having to use something generic that someone else picked out.
The parts, not the tools. Some like to build. Some like to spend money. Some like to save money and put up with the diy. I'm that somebody. I'm not building a Van to enjoy the process. I'm building the Van to enjoy the functionality of it while saving money and not having a big SMB camper monthly payment.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #5

Bee: Looks like you raised your hand to put together the forum's make, model and parts no. house-side electrical wiring list! Congratulations!

My guess is that if you pm chance and Viva, Scalff77 and daveb, they have the knowledge to contribute to and edit your list.

Maybe start with posting a list of your proposed appliances/devices and then the suggestions on connectors/fuses/circuit breaker panels/switches/wire sizes will follow...
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #6

If you were building a hot rod, there would be plenty of pre-made wiring harnesses available. If you were restoring a clasic car, again there are plenty available due to the large demand and the standard configuration. Building a van is a completely different thing, as all are somewhat different and nearly all are custom. You pretty well have to do your homework and figure out what you want to end up with in terms of appliances, charging systems, heat, water pumps, etc. Then you can develope a block diagram, and start figuring out loads, wire sizes, locations etc. If this is above your skill level or desire you will need to contract it out or find friends to help. If your near the coast, most boat repair facilitys have extensive experience in these type of installitions as they too are all custom. Rally P/A did up a dandy block diagram for his van that you can see here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14998&start=60

This is a very helpfull tool when you start sizing wires too. http://circuitwizard.bluesea.com/

Should you end up doing your own, you will find plenty of help here..............................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

It's hard to say what skills each person has. I deal with utility voltages and I've seen people get in way over their heads trying to do a job that really belongs in the hands of a contractor. I'm not saying it can't be done but only you know what the level of experience you have. Take the shore power plug for instance. I can recommend a style but it might be rated for my vans load and maybe you'll need a heavier rated model. On top of that I can't provide quality control. The way I see it each van needs to be designed to what you plan to install and all we can do is give you a basic recommendation on what to use...at least that's what I'm comfortable with. There are a few sites in the electrical FAQ's section. There is also a lot of stuff out there on the web. As far as a "kit"? I don't know. I just don't see a demand for such a thing but could be wrong. Even if an RV company had a harness for their specific models, each would probably be unique and of no value to your build.

Here are just a few sites:

http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-electrical.html
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camp ... o-the-wire
http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/30-amp%20Service.pdf

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #8

As others have said, there is no "kit" that I know of. Everyone's setup is different.

However, there are principles and standards that you can use as a "cookbook" for a good/safe installation. I come from boating and the boating industry has "ABYC" which is a standards body that pretty much describes the parameters for a top notch installation. You can find partial/older copies of their standards online for free.

I tend to use marine type parts, which are generally of good quality.

For components, I like Blue Sea Systems, and they also have a lot of information on their website (they go by ABYC standards). They have a circuit wizard, etc.

For wire, Ancor boat cable/wire (tinned, finely stranded copper, insulation rated to 105ºC). For crimps and lugs, FTZ.

The basic idea is you figure your loads, and how much power you will be storing or generating (end loads, battery bank, generator/charger/starter/alternator, etc.). You size the wire for the loads (see voltage drop calculators), then you fuse for the wire size (see ampacity tables). Make sure there are fuses any time you have a power source (can be on both ends of a wire in some cases), and/or when a wire gets enough smaller that the "previous" fuse is too large to protect it.

With DC wire, voltage drop is a concern, so you either want shorter runs or larger wire (for the same given load). You count the "round trip" distance (although some calculators do this for you, in which case they will specify "one way distance), even if one of those "ways" is a chassis ground.

Does this help? Once you have a specific plan laid out, I'm sure you will get a lot of good help here.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:22 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Building upon what's already here there is no kit, magical or otherwise that'll suit your needs as I understand them Bee. I personally have close to $2K in tools and supplies that allow me to build and/or reconfigure the most common Ford and aftermarket terminals and connector shells or housings.

Your project as put forward requires such tools and parts in order to create the wiring harness or harnesses needed. This isn't said to discourage your build but the complex nature of your needs presents a lot of challenges if you're not experienced in this aspect of vehicle wiring.
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:00 AM   #10

One thing you could do is find an older SMB with a bad body or engine but good interior and simply swap all the interior bits over.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote