Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #1

Garage
Removing an Aftermarket Stereo Questions

I have an alpine double din stereo I am replacing. I have seen all kinds of threads covering the removal of the stock stereo units, and I have done that and it is pretty simple. I have also seen all kinds of posts that start with "How do I remove my dash?" and I have yet to see just how to do that in the area surrounding the stereo. The comments that follow often say, "You don't have to take the dash apart to do that..."

The only reference to the removal of an aftermarket double din stereo I have seen basically said yank on it. Well, here is what I have. The trim ring came off really easily, I just don't know what to do next.

I realize that the removal will depend more on the install kit used before than the unit itself.

How do I remove this thing?
If I need to break parts, I am okay with that, I just do not want to do any real damage to what is left, plus I would like to give the radio to my daughter if I can.

If you could tell me exactly what to break, cut, bend, clip, spread, pry, tug, pull, jiggle and or dremel to remove this thing I would appreciate it very much.

Also If someone would like to describe how to remove the dash around this area I would not mind that either. Please give me details.

Thanks a Ton!

2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:13 PM   #2

Re: Removing an Aftermarket Stereo Questions

What make is your van and what year? Looks like a pre-2009 Ford?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #3

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
What make is your van and what year? Looks like a pre-2009 Ford?
Yep, 2005 Ford E250.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old 04-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #4

Garage

Try removing the dog house and see how the stereo is fastened. You should be able to see the double din mounting kit and how the stereo is clipped into it. If you can't get it out like that remove the dashboard. It's much easier to remove the dashboard with the dog house removed since you can get behind it and push out.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:45 PM   #5

I think you will need the removal key like these (I know these aren't for alpine just an example) and it pushes in the little slots by the six button and the corresponding one on the other side they release the body and from there the cage should be much easier to figure out. If you can't find your release tools stop by any local stereo shop and they should be able to remove the body of the radio in a few seconds for little to no fee.
http://www.amazon.com/Xtenzi-Pioneer-Re ... s=din+tool

Just found this page 35 they are called bracket
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV0wh ... 57F.liRAo-
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #6

Garage

Thanks for the super-quick responses, on Resurrection Sunday, no less!

I got it figured out.
The difficult part is not knowing what was hidden behind the plastic. So... I started exploring with some butter type knives in the slots and around the edges. My first inclination was to play around between the stereo and the plastic mounting piece. Once I realized that the plastic piece, with the grove near the 3 and 6 buttons, between the stereo and the van dash was attached to the stereo and not to the van it was easy.

I pushed the knives in and out between the plastic filler and the van dash. I was getting some responses with hearing some breakage etc. There would be some resistance, then it would give. I then took some paint can opener levers, you know like you get from Dunn Edwards with a gallon of paint, and found something inside to hook it on. It started to give a bit. The more things I broke the more it was moving. Then just did both sides and it kept coming, til eventually it popped out.
Here is a pic of the installation piece mounted on the passenger side of the stereo.

The device has little spring loaded barbs that protrude from the side and act as a one-way ratchet holding mechanism. They are three deep, so it looks like you could push it in so far and it would hold. Once those barbs are broken off or bent back then the stereo is no longer held into place. The barbs at the right hand side of the pic were left undisturbed. The ones in the middle and left are broken or bent. Pretty cool. I learned something today!

If this doesn't make sense to you let me know and I will try and explain it better. Thanks guys.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD