Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2015, 12:38 AM   #1

On my third pair of house batteries in 9 months

Bought a pair of Interstate "ECL Pro" 27's right after I bought the van last August. They seemed to be fine but then dropped off rather suddenly last month. Last real camping use was Thanksgiving.

Went back to the Interstate store a couple of weeks ago and they said the batteries 'seemed okay' but didn't load test them. The just offered me two new SRM27 batteries under warranty. Each one has about 10ah less than the "Pro" version. They said they had a very high return rate on the Pro series batteries and had much better luck with the SRM's.

Tested the SRMs for the first time yesterday by turning on the fridge. They went from 12.8v down to 12.3v in one hour. Took them back to the store today and they load tested one of them. It was at 12.87v but had 0 cranking amps. The tech guy looked confused. This is our local Interstate distributor/warehouse; not an Interstate dealer. They didn't bother testing the other one and just gave me two new SRM 27s. I had to get back to work so we didn't have time to load test the new ones.

Installed them tonight. Leaving tomorrow to go camping for three days, so we'll see what happens

So far, Interstate has left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe a couple of reliable batteries, a marinated pork loin, and a New York Strip will fix that.

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:59 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: On my third pair of house batteries in 9 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt
So far, Interstate has left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe a couple of reliable batteries, a marinated pork loin, and a New York Strip will fix that.
Throw in my recipe for Shrimp Scampi and all that Interstate bad taste would be a long ago forgotten memory.

Interstate not that long ago was a premium brand IMHO but it seems not quite as much these days.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage

I assume Interstate has different companies make their batteries. Are these AGM style? Wonder how they are storing them? Anyway enjoy the trip

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #4

Garage

It never occurred to me to apply animal flesh to my batteries. Perhaps I'll pick up a volt or two when I try it.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

I like shrimps.

These are not AGM - just conventional flooded. According to the date stamp, this third set was manufactured in February. We'll see how it goes this weekend.

I bought one of the "Pro" 27's for my trolling motor in June 2013 and it's been great. Maybe I just got hold of some from a bad batch for the van. If these don't work out, I'll just get my money back and perhaps invest in AGMs.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:31 PM   #6

The new pair of batteries did not do well either. They draw down very fast with only the fridge on. Rallypanam brought along his Fluke clamp meter and we tested everything today. The fridge draws 2.3 amps and there is no draw when everything is shut off.

I'm confused.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:34 PM   #7

Did you check the voltage when they were fully charged after the long drive? Perhaps they never got fully charged. I would expect to see something like 13.2V A load test should tell the tale, but they need to be fully charged first. I've got 12 Interstate U 2400 6v's in my boat, and had several die within the first year. I got one entire set replaced for free, but now the current set is shot. At about $150 each, I'm looking seriously at using Costco golf cart's at under $100ea. I've got two in my van, but they are only about one year old, so it's too soon to tell how long they will last......
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:23 AM   #8

I've never seen them get above 12.9. With the engine running, they're getting 14.0v charge. Drove all the way home yesterday and then ~20 miles to work this morning and they're right at 12.5/12.6.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #9

Do you have a isolator, or separtaor, which kind? Do you ever plug in, or is driving the only way you charge the batteries?

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #10

I have a Surepower Model 1602 isolator. These batteries have never been plugged in, other than on the generator this weekend. Picked em up Thursday afternoon and left for camping Friday. I drove it to work today and plugged in so it'll charge for the next 6 hours or so. Meter is telling me they're getting 13.5v right now off the Intellipower 9100 charger/converter.

With the last pair of batteries, I would drive to work at least once a week and plug in all day.