Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #1

Advice needed: Sure Power 1602 replacement

Hi folks. I've perused the many isolator threads already on the forum, but my head is spinning.

We are leaving on a month-long trip out west in our SMB in two weeks. The van is all prepped and was doing great, but yesterday the starting battery was dead. I'm not seeing any obvious issues (lights left on, etc.), but I haven't had time to test for draws.

I've been meaning to replace my 1998-vintage Sure Power 1602 isolator for a while now, and never got around to it. I don't know for sure that the isolator is causing the issue (haven't tested it using the procedure posted in another thread here), but I figure at 17 years old it's a good idea to replace it anyway.

Our van: 1998 E250 5.4 gas

The challenge: I leave for a work trip to Germany tonight and only have a few days after I get back before we leave for our SMB trip, so I'm scrambling to try and get this done. I need a replacement for the 1602 that is as close to plug-and-play as possible, without rewiring, running new wires, etc.

The questions: I was thinking of replacing the 1602 with a Sure Power 1314 separator. It appears from Sure Power's installation instructions that it can be mounted under the hood, although they do say "Do not mount in direct engine heat." (My 1602 is on the right side of the engine bay, near the fender and firewall.) Can anyone confirm this is ok? Also, how do I handle the wiring when switching from the 1602 to the 1314? It looks like the 1602 has three wires (one to each of the battery banks, and one to the alternator), while the 1314 only has two main ones. (I don't care about the start assist and won't hook that up.)

Or, given the limited time, should I just get another 1602 and swap it out, knowing that it's "old tech" and I'll probably need to upgrade sooner or later? Obviously that's the most plug-and-play option.

Thanks for help with this somewhat urgent question!

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Advice needed: Sure Power 1602 replacement

I'd pull it and either put in a new isolator or add a battery switch. Deal with the retrofit at a later date. I know a battery switch would be a PITA to operate but doable.
Personally I'd never put the Surepower under the hood. Those units already have enough issues with corrosion and do get rather hot but that's just my opinion. I had corrosion issues with several of those under my bench seat.

(edit) SMB has noted that corrosion was a somewhat common issue with the isolators they used causing the starting battery to drain over time but that might not be your problem. A few years back they had a kit to retrofit from isolator to separator but I'm not sure if they're selling those packages anymore. Don't hurt to call and ask.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #3

RE: retrofit kit. Thanks, that's interesting! I'll give them a call.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

I had a surepower under my hood that SMB installed when new 14 years ago and I just replaced it with the same unit ? no issues for me so I stayed the same.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #5

Garage

The 1602 has been working for 17 years. For fast and easy, just replace it. Then upgrade it 17 years from now?

AFAIK, the only issue with the isolator type is a bit of power consumption. If you don't ever run out of power, then ..??
Old 06-03-2015, 07:04 AM   #6

I would think if time is short, just replace it with same. Most likely to change over you would need new wiring (size) and of course move alternator wire back to the battery. The impact of the isolator is the voltage drop because of the diode. Depending on your alternator the output of your alternator this could have some effect on how charged you get your batteries.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:06 AM   #7

I would think if time is short, just replace it with same. Most likely to change over you would need new wiring (size) and of course move alternator wire back to the battery. The impact of the isolator is the voltage drop because of the diode. Depending on your alternator the output of your alternator this could have some effect on how charged you get your batteries.

Oh, and if you were going to change over I might look at the Blue Sea 7620 or 7622 instead.
-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #8

Thanks folks! Looks like I'll order a direct replacement. Wish Amazon carried it to make things easy...
Old 06-03-2015, 10:06 AM   #9

Advice needed: Sure Power 1602 replacement

Just ordered the 1602 for $78 and free shipping on EBay. I'll worry about upgrading down the road if I end up needing more functionality. This one has been working since 1998, so that's not too bad I guess! Thanks again for the input.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #10

Got back from Germany last night and found the replacement isolator waiting. Installed it this morning and everything is back together. We'll see if it was the issue with my battery drawing down. I hope so, because right now I don't have any other thoughts on what it could be. (Even if it doesn't solve the issue, I figure at 17 years old it was due to be replaced anyway.)

An easy install, only involved removing the coolant recovery tank. My isolator is mounted on the right side of the engine compartment, directly under the coolant recovery tank. Filed/sanded off the cable lugs, which were pretty oxidized, while I was at it.

Thanks again for the comments and help!