Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2015, 10:49 PM   #1

What are your amp hour ratings?

I was wondering about what size battery bank to use when updating this system. So, my questions to you are:

1. How many total amp hours does your battery bank provide?

2. What appliances do you run (furnace, stereo, lights, fan, etc), or an amp hour for your regular power needs?

3. 12v or 6v batteries and why you chose the route you did.

Thanks for all the help thus far!

c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:08 AM   #2

Garage
Re: What are your amp hour ratings?

By far most people use a 200ah 4D battery since that's what Sportsmobile installs. With solar panels that's all I've ever needed.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #3

Perfect, thanks!
Old 06-24-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by c7train
I was wondering about what size battery bank to use when updating this system. So, my questions to you are:

1. How many total amp hours does your battery bank provide?

2. What appliances do you run (furnace, stereo, lights, fan, etc), or an amp hour for your regular power needs?

3. 12v or 6v batteries and why you chose the route you did.

Thanks for all the help thus far!

1. 420 (2-210AH)
2. Espar furnace Airtronic/Hydronic, water pump, stereo and DVD system, LED lights inside and out, Fantastic fan when needed, and the microwave off battery power only for stealth camping.
3. 12 volt AGM Lifeline batteries. Don't want 6 volt batteries because of the overall size and extra connections required. I also don't want wet cell batteries because of maintenance and the fact that AGM batteries charge up faster. Mind you they are making 6 volt AGM's these days & there's nothing wrong with that. If the price of Lithium batteries come down to a reasonable price I'll be all over those.
[edit]Just to note two 210AH 6 volt batteries in series put out 210AH at 12 volt. I'm very happy with my twin 210AH 12v batteries as far as total amp hours. One issue is if one goes bad it will likely take out the other. That can be very expensive so there is a reason why a single battery can be a good thing. It is also worth knowing AGM's should be taken down to no more than 50% of discharge on a regular basis. Some 6v wet cell battery systems can be taken lower than AGM's but a well made AGM can handle lower depths of discharge now and then w/o damage compared to lower quality types. Generally you get what you pay for. It might even be a smart move to find good deals on cheaper brands and just plan to replace them on a regular basis. JMO

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:19 PM   #5

Garage

We've got 2 - 12v Group 27 AGM for a total of about 200 aH. 12v because that's what the builder uses. Group 27 fit. Group 31 would have fit but the builder didn't stock them. AGM because they are on their side under the van.

- LED lighting
- Fantastic fan or Propex furnace depending on season
- CO/propane detector
- Recharge tablet and phones
- Frig with no 12v draw when running propane
Old 06-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #6

Perfect, thanks!
Old 06-24-2015, 02:50 PM   #7

Our 1989 has a single 12v battery in the engine compartment. If I remember correctly it is a group 27 and is a standard deep cycle RV battery. Installed 270 watts of solar on the roof. Have not had a problem with this combination running out of power.

Suburban furnace
Truck Fridge
LED lights
Charging iPhone, iPad, Bluetooth speaker, etc.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #8

We have just replaced our 6 yr old 12v group 29 batteries w two 6v golf cart batteries. Our target is 2-4 days w/o plugging in.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote