Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #1

Basic RV electrical; how to learn to troubleshoot

While I have been a vacuuming up as much basic knowledge as I can to understand basic electrical; how RV electrical systems work; use of multimeter; etc; I don't really have any practical understanding of how to troubleshoot basic problems.

I have read and largely understand the great help topics presented on this forum, but would love to find some easy to understand resources on how to diagnose the basic stuff that can go wrong--and obviously some BASIC fixes.

Just ordered Mueller's well up to date (1997) book on RV electrical troubleshooting, but was hoping I could get some other suggestions from you folks on other resources.

Until about 2 weeks ago understood just about nothing regarding electronics. Now I can diagram the wiring and connections of our soon to be installed solar system; inverter/charger; battery separator; etc. Practically, I'm needing to go to the next step.

Thanks.

pfacdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Basic RV electrical; how to learn to troubleshoot

So have you looked at the FAQ's in this section? There are several links

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:03 PM   #3

.....edit....just went back to FAQ, and maybe more there for specifics than I thought.

I have Dave, and have learned a lot from many of those sources. However, the furthest on any toward a more systematic troubleshooting approach is pretty generic. One takes you to testing the fuses etc.

It would be more useful for me to go through several scenarios or problems, and then follow a step by step approach as to how to track it down, what to test, and where to test.

I see a number of such "scenarios" presented in topics in this part of the forum, some I can follow, but others it rapidly gets a bit too involved for me to follow.

thanks for getting back on this.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:15 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

What do you see this next step as being?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #5

Something in electrical/solar system not working correctly. My goal would be able to go through the logical steps to track down what is going wrong.

Next step after that; try to fix or if over my skill level, be able to pass on what the likely problem is to someone doing the repair work.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:31 AM   #6

pfacdb,

I think I get what you mean. I'm good with doing new wiring (solar system, general system setup, proper crimps, OCP, ampacity of a given wire, etc.). But where I wish I knew more was when a problem crops up, and you then, for example, read about someone saying "So I got my meter out and traced the.... " or "I followed the pinout diagram and tracked the problem down to..."

Is that the sort of thing you mean? I have not read the documents referred to, so they may explain it all, but I know for myself, that's the type of thing I wish I were better at.

For one example, when I got my current E-350, the dash lights were not working. Fuse was good, headlights worked, but no dash lights. A friend has the Ford electrical manual, and that had a description for how to test things in a certain order, but it kind of lost me. This was annoying since I had the "directions" right there!

As it turned out I did it another way, by thinking "well, what is the most likely part to fail, I'll throw that part at it, and then if that doesn't work I'll find someone to take it to." I decided that would be the "rotate to brighten" feature on the headlight switch, and so bought a new one and installed it. I got lucky, and that fixed the problem (which has not recurred in over a year now), but I wish I'd been a bit more nimble with a meter and following the "trace the problem" procedures. Maybe this is something one has to learn by experience, I'm not sure.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #7

As it turned out I did it another way, by thinking "well, what is the most likely part to fail, I'll throw that part at it, and then if that doesn't work I'll find someone to take it to."

This is the method used by a lot of folks, including some professionals sadly. It sometimes works, but can lead to unneccessarly replacing expensive parts that don't fix the problem. Systematic, logical trouble shooting requires an understanding of how individual componants and circuits work, and an accurate circuit diagram. For the Ford factory side of the wiring, the manual is worth it's weight in gold. At the beginning of the manual, there is a section that explains how to use it, and although sometimes it's a bit complicated, if you sit down and study it, it will begin to make sense. There are exact trouble shooting steps to trace out every circuit and potential problem. If you get stuck at some point in the procedure, there are plenty of folks here who can help answer specific questions. Most often, the biggest challange is figuring out exactly where the test points are. As far as the wiring installed by Sportmobile or other upfitters, it's a whole different challange. If you have a wiring diagram, your in pretty good shape, but often times you don't. You can still figure out problems, but I liken it to trying to drive from San Francisco to New York without a map. Sure if you head East, you will eventually get there, but you may go way out of your way. The wiring diagram is your map to the circuit. Each componant requires a complete circuit to work. For instance, a light requires electrons to flow from the battery, through a switch, to the filament in the bulb, and then back to the battery. It's a loop. Any break in the loop will prevent the light from coming on. Place your volt meter on the negative side of the battery and the the other lead on the positive. It should read 12v. Now move the positive lead to the switch. With the switch in the on position, you should read 12v on each side. In the off position, only one side will read voltage. Continut to the bulb and check both sides. If only one side shows voltage, the circuit is broken, and you know the bulb is burned out. Now rather than just throwing a new bulb in, you have logically found the problem.
I recommend you buy this book, it is written for boats, but applies directly to RV's too.
http://www.amazon.com/Boatowners-Mechan ... al+systems

It is great to explain how electrical systems are designed and repaired and is in plain english...............A/T
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #8

I have that book and love it! Used it for years aboard a boat when off in places where there was no "place to take it to" but it was figure it out yourself or live without it.

I'm actually reasonable at the RV/boat type "house" systems (the boating experience helps), but it's when it gets into the Ford (under the hood or etc.) systems that I get lost. So maybe a little different from the OP that way.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #9

Thanks Viva and Arctictraveler for your input. AT, your basic rundown of going from battery, to switch, to bulb, was basically what I was getting at. A logical approach to tracking things down.

I'll check out my "up to date" 1997 book that is coming from Amazon first, and if that doesn't work, I'll get the boat book. Thanks for that reference.

dana
Old 07-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #10

There is also "The 12V Side of Life" (not sure if it is linked in the FAQs):

Part 1: http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
Part 2: http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volta.htm

It may be getting a little long in the tooth (last updated in 2002), but the basics are there. I found it very easy to read and understand.

Cheers,
Brent