Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 11:09 AM   #1

Group 65 AGM Pep Boys Battery Sale

Just a heads up:

Pep Boys has the Bosch Group 65 AGM w/ 4 Year Free replacement available for $150 each using their "35FORALL" discount. Seems like a pretty good price for AGM's. They also have the flooded Grp 65 for around $95.

My Motorcraft batteries load tested at 50% and still seem pretty strong, but I am picking up two of the grp 65 AGM's so the electrical will all be AGM now. Following daveb's thoughts about not having any issues after switching to all one type of battery construction Have to get the solar stuff going soon.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:12 PM   #2

Re: Group 65 AGM Pep Boys Battery Sale

Does all AGM include the starting batt? If so, can you adjust the alternator charge parameters to the correct AGM voltage?............
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

There are a ton of views out there on the subject but I've been told directly by Concorde (who makes Lifeline batteries) that AGM batteries (as compared to gel-cell types) require no different voltages than standard wet cell batteries. Some AGM batteries like those made by Odyssey have been developed for military applications and use a design to work like a standard high burst wet cell starting battery. Unlike most deep cycle AGM's, they claim that their batteries can be taken down to lower SOC levels than others but Lifeline told me similar... they just didn't recommend doing it on a constant basis. The only warning they did give me was dealing with constant over voltage...about 14.6 and higher. It was funny when the engineer asked me if my RV was a Sportsmobile. I guess he's received a lot of calls from owners. Basically I told him my alternator was pushing out 14.7-15.2 volts (I had an electrical issue that seemed to toast my alternator) and he said "you'll fry your batteries" if that voltage never tapered off and I drive a long distance. I did have a new alternator on the way. One thing mentioned was he guessed the voltage drop would be enough that it would lower the charge voltage enough that I wouldn't be in the red zone. Unfortunately I beefed up the charge cabling and I was in the red zone, so the van sat until I replaced the alternator. I had an alternator built that pushes out about 13.8v rather than the typical 14.4 rate and rely on my solar controller to peak the battery systems and put them into a float mode. Kind of an experiment on my part so we'll see. It takes longer to fully reach the bulk & absorption charge point with a lower voltage alternator. Some manufactures require different voltages. Lifeline's recommended voltage is +/-14.3 bulk/absorption and +/-13.3 float while Rolls and Odyssey post 14.7-13.6. Deka is similar to Lifeline with a slightly higher float voltage of 13.5-13.9
Different voltages are required at different temps with 70-77* being the average set point by most manufactures. I figure that I get enough sun to deal with topping off my batteries and keeping things OK while on the road. I can plug in at home for a heavy charge if needed. My first 200A alternator was set at 13.7 and I never had any issues. I replaced it with a 270XP alternator that put out a higher voltage and Nation's Alternator said there has been a request for lower voltage alternators. So like I said It's going to be a test on my part. I'm running Lifeline and Odyssey batteries.

Here are a few good articles worth a read:
http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/agm.htm
http://support.rollsbattery.com/support ... m-charging
http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents ... 11_000.pdf
http://www.mkbattery.com/documents/3379Form%201913.pdf

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #4

Thanks Dave

I will be contacting Bosch during the week to find out what the charge profiles look like for their batteries.

My Scangauge voltage usually hung around 13.9 to 14.0 with the Motorcraft sealed/flooded batteries I had Occasionally, I would see 14.1. I will be watching the voltage on the new AGM's to see what, if anything, they do differently.

As I said, once I get the Solar MPPT controller and the big Samlex Inverter/charger/switch installed, I just felt it would be better to have all the batteries being AGM and all being charged with the same profile. Also, now all my batteries are the same age.

btw- it came to $286 out the door installed by them with no extra charge for my supervisoin.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

My guess is most can except any standard charge voltage just the closer to what they recommend the longer they will last. Using AGM's instead of wet cell maintenance free batteries took away all the issues I was having with burning them up. I've never had problems with my AGM house batteries. But those wet cell types were a PITA. At least when AGM's go they don't seem to turn red hot and spew gas...at least in my case none have. I just feel safer with them banked to my house batteries during a hard charge.

That is a killer price on those.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:33 PM   #6

At $140 it's seems like a smoking deal.
Quick question, I didn't see the AH rating on pep boys website... anyone know it?

Making me spend $ when I'm broke! LOL
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:28 PM   #7

Appears to be 70ah, but I'm not sure...
I was hoping for a little more.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
Site Team

Anyone ever use a Bosch battery? My Crown Vic battery (Group 65) has been dying a slow death. I thought I finally had it back in shape after it sat for three weeks at an airport and seemed to be run down, but suddenly this morning it barely cranked over.

Looks like at my local Pep Boys I can get a Bosch Group 65 AGM for about $150.

Other local options are a Duracell Group 65 (non AGM) at Sams Club, and a Wally World Group 65 for about $95.

Herb

BTW, when did auto parts stores start charging for installing a battery? They want $15. No thanks, I'll just change it in your parking lot....
Old 10-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #9

I like the Walmart ones, if only for ease of warranty returns just about anywhere if needed. But I've never really had one fail prematurely. 3-year free replacement is nice.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:01 AM   #10

I have 4 of the Bosch AGMs in three of my vehicles, the oldest in my early bronco is around three years old now. The others are around a year. So I can't make any claims about longevity, but they are working as they should. They are priced well especially if you find a online discount.
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote