Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #1

Gauge Monitoring Gizmos

So I'm about to enter the OBDii world with the new van - our current van is OBD-challenged which of course eats away at a gadget-nerd like me, but that's all about to change. I realize ScanGauge and other similar products seem to be the gadget of choice for data monitoring for many of the forum member, but I'm curious what else is out there that is both useful and a bit more enjoyable/easier to monitor vs. the tiny little screen on a ScanGauge. Specifically, are there any monitoring tools that can also provide warnings should a certain perimeter get beyond a set level/out of spec... or does ScanGauge do this?

We developed our own level of gauge monitoring and data collection for the track car using tools from PalmerPerformance, specifically DashCommand which appears to be available for many platforms now. They have some very robust data collection/monitoring tools that not only are customizable, but can be created from scratch using their very basic gauge design software.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:42 AM   #2

Re: Gauge Monitoring Gizmos

Palmer performance apps / software can be used on the van, Scantool https://www.scantool.net/software/ sell ODB to bluetooth , Wifi or USB adapters.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #3
Site Team

Your concern regarding the ScanGauge is spot-on, but it is useful.

That said, I also have, but do not leave connected all the time, a Bluetooth dongle that plugs into the OBD2 port (in place of the ScanGauge which also connects there). I then run the Torque Pro app on my tablet, and can get much of the functionality that you are looking for.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rque&hl=en

Dongle that I use, but there are many others;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAO ... UTF8&psc=1

One of the video reviews of Torque Pro

[EDIT: a much better video walk through of the Torque Pro app]
Old 07-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #4

Ultra gauge doesn't support trans temp, but has a bigger display and is pretty cheap. Not sure if they do warnings though. I used to have a MSD Dash Hawk in my Trailblazer SS, and that would have warnings for set parameters.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #5

For approximately 3 years I've been using a obd2 bluetooth dongle and torque Pro app on my galaxy note 2 and now note 3.
Flawless operation.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #6

The scan gauge really does work as additional gauges, I have (corrected) speed and trans temp up all the time on mine. I usually also water temp and mileage, as having it drop unexpectedly is usually a sign that something is going off.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Ultra gauge doesn't support trans temp, but has a bigger display and is pretty cheap. Not sure if they do warnings though. I used to have a MSD Dash Hawk in my Trailblazer SS, and that would have warnings for set parameters.
UltraGauge does X-commands now, including trans temp. Also, there is a way to set alarms. I haven't had time to play with mine yet. So far I like the display, but setup is more cumbersome than a scan gauge.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
UltraGauge does X-commands now, including trans temp. Also, there is a way to set alarms. I haven't had time to play with mine yet. So far I like the display, but setup is more cumbersome than a scan gauge.
Thats good news. I like the display of the UltraGauge.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:28 AM   #9

A friend with a Ford V-10 got an Ultra Gauge last winter. At that time they were sort of reluctantly "admitting" that you could get the TFT. I think they thought it would be too hard for people to program, so they were downplaying it. Anyway, we had both already done the extra programming on Scan Gauges, so he decided to try it. And indeed it works for that just fine.

My feeling is that it can do a lot more, can show more at one time, is a nicer shape (rounded not boxy), and is less expensive than a Scan Gauge. On the other hand, it's a bit more bother to set up and get used to (IMO). Due to that, for now I still prefer my Scan Gauge for its simplicity - plus I already have it. But if I were buying from scratch I'd certainly check out the Ultra Gauge.

The screen is still fairly small though.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #10

I've been using an Android tablet for navigation and to stream music. I do have a bluetooth OBDii dongle floating around here somewhere. Maybe I can give Torque a shot. I'll look into UltraGauge as well. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.