Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #1

Wiring ARB compressor switch into dash???

Hi everyone,

I'm a complete newb when it comes to automotive electricity so you'll have to be super blunt with me to help me out.

I bought UJOINT's ARB onboard air system just to air tires up and down (no lockers yet) for my 2010 V10 E350 and I'm almost done with the install.
  • I have the supply loom for the ARB compressor wired directly to the posts on the auxiliary battery on the frame rail on passenger side and I have the compressor on the frame rail on the driver side. I know this battery has a good charge and I have a separate DC outlet wired to it as well which is working.
  • The switch loom is mostly hooked up EXCEPT the only two wires I have not connected are the supply wires for the switch itself up at the dash.

I need to find a wire that is hot when the key is on or turned to ACC and I need to find a wire that is dimmable so that the ARB switch lights up with the dash. How do I do this??? I've tried turning the switch to turn on the compressor but it won't kick on yet. I assume the switch itself needs power to work? Or is the power only for the light?

I have a wiring diagram book, and I know where my fuse box is and what the different fuses do - 1-4 are empty and 42 is an upfitter switch. How do people fit "add a circuit" type products under the lid of the fuse panel? Is this what I should use? I know what the 4 wires going in to my dash dimming switch do - two are dimmable switch wires that aren't differentiated in the wiring diagram book...I suppose I could just choose one of them to connect for the dimmable wire?

Help, please!

FarmerFrederico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Wiring ARB compressor switch into dash???

My switches are dark until on so I don't worry dimming. Now for the keyed you can use the switched power for the radio.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #3

Re: Wiring ARB compressor switch into dash???

OK - I found it! Ended up finding a female grey junction box not plugged in to anything and it looks like it was identified in the wiring diagram I found on fleet.ford.com. My wiring diagram book is still confusing for me to use. Anyways, yellow/red was indicated hot for on/run and it was according to my multimeter. I hooked my dimming wire into the dimming switch itself but this doesn't seem to work. Regardless, I got the compressor running and tested it and everything is good to go!

I can't imagine having to have taken more of the dash apart to find power to the radio or dig into the harness which looks like it's running that direction. Anyways - learning curve is steep for me on this but I'm making progress!
FarmerFrederico is offline   Reply With Quote