Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 07:08 AM   #1

Frame mounted battery boxes ( OE for Econoline )

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but no question is stupid only answers... right?

I was wondering if two factory frame mounted battery boxes would be able to hold large enough house batteries?
I am hoping that I can get at least 200ah AGM down there.

I've been fortunate enough not to pull down the one that's on there for my starting battery, so I am unfamiliar with its size capacity. What size battery can be stuffed into the boxes?

Part 3 of my question, would I be able to mount them on the drivers side frame rail? Would weather be a problem at any point?

I plan (hope) to put my dual house batteries there and basically forget about them (solar charged ).

Sound like a good plan?

And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:21 AM   #2

Re: Frame mounted battery boxes ( OE for Econoline )

I put two Deka AGM Group 31's (105 Ah each) on my pass frame rail, but that is my V10 van. They fit.

I used two of the Ford frame mounted battery boxes to start with. The boxes are designed for Group 65's which are dimension-ed differently than the 31's. The 65's have less capacity. I posted some pics on a battery box thread some where, I will see if I can find them.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #3

Thank you!

My reason for mounting them on the drivers side is to balance the weight of the water tank on the passenger side. And since I have the 7.3 I currently have one battery mounted there already, the driver side is wide open.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:01 AM   #4

I think it works on driver side as well if you do not have the rear air/heat lines running down three. The one consideration on all the vans is the parking brake cable. AGM's can be mounted in any orientation. If you do not mind them hanging down a bit, mount them conventionally, I think that works on the D side.

I did not drill the frame for mounting holes. I modified the "ears" on the factory battery boxes by drilling new holes in those to match pre-existing holes in the frame.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #5

Thread with pics:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1917&hilit=Battery+Box&start= 30

Page 3 about half way down.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:26 AM   #6

I have two 31 AGMs lined up on my passenger side, so it should work, but I built one long box instead of the factory boxes. Can you get the dimensions of them and see if the batteries will fit in the boxes? If so, I'm pretty sure the boxes will fit. As mentioned above, you may have to modify the holes in the frame. This sounds simple, but it's not that simple. Get some good drill bits and find a strong right angle drill to make it easier, or drop the tank and drill from the inside. As for length and space though, I'm pretty sure you're fine.

Post some pics of the project if you can. I bet a lot of people who don't have a propane tank there would like to know.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #7

If I get this project going I'll be sure to take pictures and do a description on it.
But honestly I was just hoping for a batteries that would fit in the boxes without any modifications, other than wiring. I don't really have the resources to weld and fabricate stuff anymore.

If I had to choose 1 large battery or two batteries for custom fabrication on the drivers side frame rail which would you choose?

I'd even consider two 6v that would fit both requirements!
Old 08-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #8

You "may" be able to fit the Group 31's into the factory boxes but without the box tops, cannot remember if that worked or not, but I think it was close. You do not necessarily need to weld the boxes together, they can be bolted together with angle pcs.

The group 65's that fit the factory boxes are around 65 Ah each. so it is major difference especially when you need to stay within half of that for battery longevity. This is not an option in my book.

Measure the space, then compare that to the battery specs for the different group sizes. A single 4D is may be okay in an AGM and mounted on it's side using 8.25" dimension between the frame and outside body.

Check this link for common sizes. I would go with single 4D or 2x 12v vs two 6 volt, but that is just my preference. Remember 6 V battery AH rating needs to be cut in half to compare apples to apples w/ 12 V.

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/bc ... sizes.html
Old 08-18-2015, 10:27 PM   #9

I am doing one 4d on each side of frame rail. I have the V10. The passenger side is done. A custom metal battery box was built and under hangs about 3 inches below the rail. That was the draw back that I accepted.
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:11 PM   #10

Would you please share some pictures?
Sounds like what I'm strongly considering.