Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 09:44 AM   #1

Remote lock/unlock?

I have a 99 Chevy Express 3500 that has power locks. When I bought it there was no remote. I want to be able to lock and unlock ALL the doors with a remote. It would be nice if it would work the alarm (horn) but not a biggie.

Can I just buy a Lock/Unlock FOB from Ebay or Amazon and easily program it? Or am I mssing something? What do I need to do to accomplish my goal?

Old 08-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #2

Re: Remote lock/unlock?

If it isn't an easy factory add on, check with a car stereo place. There are aftermarket kits out there that are not too costly.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #3

If your van came with keyless entry, then you should be able to program a FOB pretty easily. Google "gm key fob programming" and you will find the instructions. I can't remember if you need to have at least one working FOB in order to program a new one, or if that was a Ford thing.

GM usually posts an options code sheet in the glove box...I think its called RPO codes. I think you can check the codes on there to see if your van came with keyless entry.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #4

For a 2005 Ford, you don't need any working FOBs. Simply enter the programming mode by turning the key to the ON then OFF position 8 times, press the lock button on the new, unprogrammed remote within 20 seconds and you are golden. I just did this on Saturday with two new remotes I bought off of Amazon for $10/pair.

I'm sure GM will have a similar process.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #5

This is sort of off the subject but I've looked at 2 or 3 vehicles for sale lately which had keyless entry, one of them a Ford van. All 3 owners said "Yeah, I've got the fobs somewhere but I never use them. The batteries are probably dead but they come with the vehicle." Huh? I don't understand how one could own a vehicle with keyless and not use it EVERY time you walk up to it or away from it. I wonder if these same people get up off the couch to change the channel on their new fangled remote controlled TVs? Anyway, rant over, but people confuse me.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:16 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
This is sort of off the subject but I've looked at 2 or 3 vehicles for sale lately which had keyless entry, one of them a Ford van. All 3 owners said "Yeah, I've got the fobs somewhere but I never use them. The batteries are probably dead but they come with the vehicle." Huh? I don't understand how one could own a vehicle with keyless and not use it EVERY time you walk up to it or away from it. I wonder if these same people get up off the couch to change the channel on their new fangled remote controlled TVs? Anyway, rant over, but people confuse me.

There's a country song that says "people are crazy.........." so Scotty you're not alone being confused by people.

Well I'm one of those with a Ford RKE deal and absolutely HATE HATE HATE it! Because I installed an aftermarket alarm and secondary electronic door deadbolt system the factory RKE doesn't play well with the add-on systems.

As much as remote lock/unlock seems like a good idea it doesn't appeal to everyone.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:38 AM   #7

I am also looking for a good aftermarket RKE. I had the factory ford system in my 97 and it was terrible. The one that came with the van was bad and I went and purchased a replacement module from a junk yard and got it working but the range was no good. it would only work if you were 10 ft from the van. That was with new batteries in the fobs. I'd like to hear if anyone has good experience with an aftermarket RKE, maybe even one that has remote start.
jydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:11 AM   #8

I went with an Autopage alarm/RKE, which was well reviewed but is crap IMO. The range is ok for me but the thing drags down my battery in a hurry. I don't let my van sit for more than 2-3 days with the alarm loaded before my full (12.8ish) battery is sitting at 12.2 This is a new DEKA battery also. The old one did the same. A keyless entry without the alarm might not be a battery hog though.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:22 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

For about the past 8 years I've been using CrimeGuard 350i5----pretty much perfect IMHO. The entire system can be found for $50 or so, dirt plain simple and easy to install, very reliable all these years. Decent range for the remotes---I can arm/disarm mine in the driveway through house walls and windows, fresh batteries in the remotes of course. These can and do function perfectly as an RKE, the alarm just an added feature.

It should be noted most of the more popular brand names are all made by the same company as CrimeGuard---paying more doesn't mean better quality in components. Features like remote start, paging capability etc etc etc do send prices upwards but even at that some models with a ton of features still won't run you over $250 if you're a DIY person.

For a lot of reasons remote start wouldn't work for me but even so there seem to be a lot of problems with them, even "professionally" installed. That's just one more reason I shy away from that option.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #10

Well i went cheap, but with the brand suggested by JWA. Just want the RKE really and for 25 bucks I couldn't resist.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151786702597...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
jydog is offline   Reply With Quote