Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #1

Solar Panels you can Stand on?

Has anyone heard of anyone installing solar panels that they could stand/walk on? Maybe through adding thick glass on top of the solar panels and embedding them in a rack?

I'm looking at having Alumniness build me a custom roof rack for my E350 EB SMB, primarily as an "observation deck" for myself and friends to watch the sunset / have drinks. I want to put (>200 watt) solar panels mounted into this rack. The problem is that the solar panels eat into the usable deck space.

I started thinking of ways I might be able to have the best of both worlds: a rack plus solar panels embedded into the rack in such a way that you could stand on them. I thought of adding grating over the panels (I would accept that would give the panels only 70% sun, for example, and just make up for it in larger/more solar panels)

Most recently I've been thinking about whether using thick glass would work. What if I embedded the solar panels into the custom rack and had a border of supports around the solar panels. Then I added a thick piece of glass over this area. Maybe I would have the glass rest directly on the solar panel so that the glass doesn't need to be so thick and that the existing load bearing properties of the solar panel could be augmented. I accept the fact that adding glass on top of the solar panels will reduce their efficiency by some amount (I'm thinking maybe 10%, which I'm cool with).

Has anyone done such a project? Heard of anyone doing it? Obviously there are a number of tradeoffs to consider here. For example, the thickness of the glass increases strength but adds weight. Also, plain tempered glass would be kinda slick, depending on how much I textured the glass it could lose translucency (important for the solar panels to get good sunlight).

seanahrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #2

Re: Solar Panels you can Stand on?

The actual glass sandwich on solar panels is very thin but tough, they can withstand hail stone hits, but are not walkable. The frames are around 2" thick but are only around the edges. The thing to remember is that the panels generate heat and need a layer of air above and below to keep them cool. There are stick on panels that are walkable but they are very expensive. If I remember correctly a formum member hand the stick down type for a while and then removed them.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:40 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

My Solara panels lasted a few years before they started to de-laminate. An expensive mistake. Not saying there aren't improved models out there, but as mentioned they're expensive mainly used in the boating world. Oh, and I never walked on em!
http://www.brjsolutions.com/-_solbian__ ... r_panels_-

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:46 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

I'm in the glass business and while not trying to discourage you as a walking surface glass of any sort should be immediately and forever ruled out. It's just not one bit practical for your needs.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:00 AM   #5
Site Team

Instead of extra thick glass, how about a removable grate? Keep it in place for gear or people, remove for maximum solar charge.

BTW, any solar panel can be stood on, well, at least once.

Herb
Old 10-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #6

Just as a point of discussion (if you don't mind), I wonder if you'll ultimately use the rooftop viewing platform function very often? If not, then a removable grate (or similar) over the panels might work well.

Note: I've made many mods that go against the common grain, so take what I say below with that in mind. I like unconventional ideas.

But, I just can't imagine wanting to do that more than a few times, or for one special occasion, etc. Reason is, it's so comfortable and easy to sit around the campsite on the ground. Chairs, tables, you can reach inside the rig for a beverage or snack, get up and stroll around, have a fire, an awning in the rain, etc. I climb up on my roof via ladder from time to time, and the view is cool; but I don't see myself wanting to lounge up there on a regular basis. Add in a few drinks and maybe some wind.... and getting back down might not be the most relaxing thing.

'course we're all different, and maybe you'd use it all the time and think it was the best feature of your van. I just figured I'd question the premise slightly since it's obviously not going to be easy to have both functioning solar panels and a rooftop deck/viewing platform for a group of people. But then where there is a will there's a way, so I don't mean to discourage you if that's what you want for sure.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:38 AM   #7

Viva, you fail to consider a zombie outbreak into the equation. Then who will have the last laugh about my roof deck.

Okay in all seriousness, good point taken into consideration!

I plan on using my roofdeck for
- putting up chairs, having drinks with a girlfriend/friend.
- holding impromptu Burning Man style art car dance parties
- putting up a fold-up table and chair, pulling out my laptop and doing work (I work from my computer remotely)
- putting camping sleeping pads and sleeping bags up there and sleeping under the stars
- fighting off the zombie apocalypse. as you know, zombies can't climb ladders.

Right now with 200W solar panels, it looks like I'd have about 7 feet x 4.5 feet of space for those things (which is basically the minimum considering my sleeping desired use case (although, perhaps our heads could rest on the solar panel on a pillow). If I found a way to cover the solar panels, I could get up to 11 feet x 4.5 and (maybe more importantly) get 300W or more of paneling.

But yes everyone's points are very helpful and things I'm considering (like do I really need that much space). Thx so far for answers!
seanahrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanahrens
Viva, you fail to consider a zombie outbreak into the equation. Then who will have the last laugh about my roof deck.
At that point, I'm welcome to pop on over........ right?
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #9

You may consider something like this. sliding solar panel rack with the "observation deck" mounted to the roof. also when the solar panel rack is extended it doubles as an awning
Attached Thumbnails
SLIDE RACK PAINT.JPG  
Old 10-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #10

You may want to mock up the space on some saw horses to see how comfortable it feels to be on such a small platform. You may want to have a railing or the fall risk will be high. I like the basic idea but making a mis step while you are ten foot in the air could be problematic.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote