Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #1

Ford Dual Battery Setup

On the gas vans with factory dual batteries, can someone tell me exactly how the circuit works. Is there any time the aux battery is isolated? For example when the key is turned to aux? Where can I find a schematic?

I want to run things off the aux battery without affecting the engine battery. I know I can install a main battery disconnect if I need to.

j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #2

The batteries operate as one with no isolator in between. I confirmed this with Ford after trying unsuccessfully to find a wireing diagram.
I just purchased a second battery box from Ford and will install a third battery with an isolator in between it and the other two. I will install a manual switch as well. Then I can be certain I have isolated my starting batteries.
The frame rail just aft of the factory aux battery is pre-drilled to accept the mounting hardware for another battery box.
The entire set up (box and mounting hardware)from Ford was about $350. I looked around my local Pick and Pull salvage yard but didn't find a junker van with a box.
I'll take some pictures if you like.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #3

My factory wiring diagram (for an 05) shows an Aux Battery Relay. It appears to be located on the base of the Aux Battery tray. The relay is energized when the key is in run only.

So you could run camper off the Aux Battery without running down the main starting battery.

You could verify this by disconnecting the Aux Battery and measuring the power coming into the battery. It should be +12V with the key ON and 0 with the key in OFF or ACC.

I bought my wiring diagrams off eBay a couple of years ago. I just did a search on eBay for 'wiring diagram e-series' and found them from 2001 on up to 2008.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #4

I didn't see any such things when dropping both my batteries on my 05 PSD 6.0... on '05 they are both side by side under the side door (I know that wasn't the case in earlier years).
Old 10-06-2008, 10:53 PM   #5

Ford includes two batteries with the diesel engine. They are wired parallel without any type of relay separating them.

Ford offers the "Heavy-Duty Auxiliary Battery" system with the gasoline engine. They are wired parallel through a relay as Mike has pointed out.

SMB installs a "house" battery(s) system that is separated/isolated (pre-07/04 built units) from the starting battery(s).

I hope this helps.

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I didn't see any such things when dropping both my batteries on my 05 PSD 6.0... on '05 they are both side by side under the side door (I know that wasn't the case in earlier years).
Ford started putting both diesel starting batteries on the frame with the 6.0 PSD.

The original question was about a gas van (a rarity, I know!) which seems to have the battery or batteries in the engine compartment.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 10-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #7

In my 05 V10 one battery is under the hood the other is on the frame under the side door. There is no relay. Both batteries function together. Disconnect the battery under the hood and the entire electrical system is disconnected, ditto the battery on the frame. Both batteries discharge together.
I believe the dual battery set up is standard on gas vans with rear A/C which mine has.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 10-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites
In my 05 V10 one battery is under the hood the other is on the frame under the side door. There is no relay. Both batteries function together. Disconnect the battery under the hood and the entire electrical system is disconnected, ditto the battery on the frame. Both batteries discharge together.
I believe the dual battery set up is standard on gas vans with rear A/C which mine has.
The 2005 wiring diagram doesn't show the 2nd battery being standard with rear AC.

I found my mistake. I mistook the battery bracket that the relay is mounted to as the Aux Battery bracket, when it is the primary battery bracket it is mounted to. The 2nd battery for a gas engine is on the frame rail beneath the side door. The relay is on the under the main battery on the side of the battery bracket.

If you follow the battery cable carefully from the aux battery towards the main battery, you will probably find the relay below the main battery, on the narrow dimension of the battery.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 10-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #9

Thanks to my local Ford service dept. manager who told me there are no relays in the system.
What does the relay do? Is just a solenoid that energizes when you turn the key?
I'll likely replace the 2 OEM batteries when I add the 3rd. I can find and identify the relay then.
Thanks for the info.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 10-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #10

The relay energizes when the key is ON. That allows it to charge when the engine is running. And you can put a load on it (lights, camper, whatever) and not run down the starting battery.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper