Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Site Team

Fantastic Fan questions

For any of you that have a Fantastic Fan installed, have you had any issues with the fan? Has anyone measured the current draw? According to Fantastic Fan literature, the current draw is stated below, but I'm curious on how those numbers compare to reality.

3.0A on high
2.29A on medium
1.86A on low

thanks,
Herb

Old 06-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: Fantastic Fan questions

Searched earlier but didn't find the info, and then just after I posted this thread, I came across the answer to part of my question, though LenS' measurements are quite a bit lower than the specs.

From LenS:
"FYI
Did some current measurements:

6600R Fantastic Vent

Fan Speed Amps
(Manual)
100% 1.52A
50% 0.52A
20% 0.22A
10% 0.10A
"OFF" 0.04A"

Still interested in hearing people's opinion about the Fantastic Fan though.

Herb
Old 06-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #3

Herb,

The 6600R is a later version of the fan with a remote control. It uses chopped voltage to control the fan speed. Very current efficient. The earlier design 3 speed fan uses resisters to control fan speed. The resisters suck up power.

The 6600R is $$$ costlier compared to the 'basic' model $$.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #4

Working well. Wish that it came with a lower setting, as even "1" is a bit loud for night-time use. Has anyone ever tried to rewire the speeds?
Advanturetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Thanks for the info Len. Looking at the product info, I thought the 6600R only benefited with a remote control, over the 6000 model. I didn't realize that they changed their motor control.

The air movement capacity of all the Fantastic Fans is overkill for me, but I really like the low current draw numbers.

Herb
Old 06-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #6

Herb,

I put a Fantastic Fan 6600R in my van last summer.

http://www.fantasticvent.com/products/m ... _6600.html

I bought it here, and did a special order to get a Flat top, Smoked lid with the least interior intrusion and I even got a Gray interior surround. It took about two weeks to get.

http://www.rvvent.com/

It replaced a metal framed Hengs fan that I bought when I first wanted a vent/fan in my van. The Hengs was well made (well good as any RV part is made) and easy to install and much better looking than the Fantastic but the fan was not at all what it could have been. It had no reverse, did not really move much air, somewhat high amp draw, very noisy.

At any rate the Fantastic has its share of good and bad features so I guess I should just do a Pros and Cons list.

Pros.
1 Very Good Ventilation (you have to open at least one hinge out window to let the air move)
2 Fan is pretty quiet (most speeds)
3 Fan is reversible
4 Available Gray interior trim (although not quite the right color to match the gray in my van)
5 Fantastic is good with customer service
6 Switchable Rain Sensor (this will be on the cons as well)

Cons.
1 Not very high quality parts. It looks much more cheaply made than it price reflects.
2 Only works with the remote. Misplace the remote and no fan, you can however open the lid manually.
3 Remote is huge and somewhat confusing to operate. I would not get the remote controlled fan if I was to do it over.
4 Takes forever to open and close.
5 The lid lifting motor noisy and is so weak that you have to use lube on the seal so it wont stick shut. It will wake you up if the rain sensor kicks in.
6 Rain sensor, the lid will open and close repeatedly sometimes even from the morning fog, you can shut the sensor off but that kind of defeats the purpose.
7 Too many mounting screws/holes in your van/ camper. If the $80 Hengs can do it with NO external screws why does this $250 one need 16 through the flange?
8 The smoked lid lets way too much light in when closed. I am not sure how the white one lid would be but the guy at Fantastic told me the smoked ones let less light in. I am starting to get a faded spot on my bed after just one year, it also lets a lot of heat and could in I feel. They offer a double thickness lid but only in the bubble style.
9 Lid shakes when fan is on Medium or Higher speeds. Blades out of balance?
10 Blades are made of clear plastic which is nice to see though but when the fan is on they reflect and bounce light everywhere.
11 All different types and placements of switches.
12 Fan will only run with the vent almost completely open. So you cant just use the fan to move air around if the temp inside is OK.

As you can see I am somewhat disappointed in my Fantastic Fan.

I had thought of buying one of these but I had never seen one in person.

http://www.maxxair.com/maxxfan.html

I decided on the fantastic because of the good customer service, lots of guys on here have them and the Gray interior color.
Looks like I might be getting Fan/Vent number Three for my van sometime in the future.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #7

I really like mine. Never had an issue with it. First one I had was a 3 speed installed at the rear of the van. Added the 6600R 2-3 years later near the front. Really moved the air and made up not having A/C. When we got the penthouse top I gave the 3 speed unit to my niece and installed the 6600R in the penthouse.
Between the two fans have about 12 years of use and both worked good.

The warranty is great, if something breaks tell them and they send you the repair part. That has been the experience of everyone I know who has had one.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
Site Team

Jamie,

Useful, but challenging link (RVVent.com). I did see there a "clamping base" one that might take fewer screws.

Nice to see all the possible options.

Herb
Old 06-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanturetrek
Working well. Wish that it came with a lower setting, as even "1" is a bit loud for night-time use. Has anyone ever tried to rewire the speeds?
I had one in my old camper and made it into a 5 speed with a new switch and somr resistors. Experiment with resistors to get the speed you desire.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #10

Herb,

I know that the RVVent.com web site is nothing great but it does, once you figure out how to navigate it, have abunch of good information on it. Fantastic recomeded that I order mine from them.

If you download the PDF called OEM Manual on this page it also has a ton of information about there fans.

http://www.fantasticvent.com/faq/knowle ... nuals.html

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote