Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #1

Project: creating a fake faceplate to hide new DIN stereo

I recently upgraded the stereo headunit on my 98 E250 to a Kenwood double-DIN flat screen DVD unit. As these types of stereos scream "steal me," I was trying to figure out a way to somewhat camouflage it while parked in dubious areas.

I was just about to throw away the 98-vintage OEM stereo cassette headunit that I removed when I thought to try and rig up something from the faceplate of it. By removing a few screws most of the faceplate came off intact. After a little bit of Dremel work on the back of the OEM faceplate to carve out an area for the new stereo's volume knob and some epoxy to secure the loose buttons and whatnot, I had an easily removable faceplate that looks pretty convincing when velcro'd to the front of the double-DIN stereo. Two small strips of Velcro secure it to the trim pieces on the new headunit. Can't beat a vintage cassette stereo for being unattractive to thieves!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20120627-00180.jpg   IMG-20120627-00183.jpg   IMG-20120627-00181.jpg  

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #2

Re: Project: creating a fake faceplate to hide new DIN stere

Thats a great idea...I thought about doing something like that too...

Youve done abunch of nice things to your van...thanks for sharing with us all...
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #3

That's sweet! I did that once with a CD changer control hidden behind my rear view mirror glass. Neat idea.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #4

Great idea!

Theft has been my main deterrent for keeping my stock unit. That, and the aftermarket's love affair with teeny tiny buttons and lack of volume knobs. ( i see you found one that has a knob!...)
Old 03-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #5

That's pretty awesome.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #6

This is great! I love this idea!

We are trying to replace our stock 1998 e350 stereo (with original externally-mounted cd player)neither a similar setup to yours. We can't find a wiring diagram. Do you have one?
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero
This is great! I love this idea!

We are trying to replace our stock 1998 e350 stereo (with original externally-mounted cd player)neither a similar setup to yours. We can't find a wiring diagram. Do you have one?
A wiring diagram of the head unit itself (insides) or just the wiring harness and stuff? I found several on the Web when I did mine, but unfortunately I don't recall where they were. Do some searching and I'm sure they will pop up.

EDIT: Lucky you! I found that I bookmarked the site: http://www.modifiedlife.com/1998-ford-e ... ing-chart/
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #8

Garage

i loved this idea and decided to try it out when i installed a new stereo last weekend. i dont daily drive our van and even though its attracks attention from the outside appearance, i like it to look as stock as possible when you peek in and see the dash area. so as requested, heres the fake faceplate i made from my 2003 stereo for my double din stereo and a quick description of how i went about it.

looks like mine was a little bit easier to work with than brians was. mine didnt have all the clear acrylic that (i think) they used to transfer light to the buttons. i also didnt have a knob to fit either, which sounds like saved me a bit of grinding as well. my stereo did have a an area twords the bottom that stuck out from the screen that i didnt want the face plate sitting against, so i grinded down a bit. you can see the outward section at the bottom in this pic.

first off, like brian, i removed a few screws and the face came right off, then i just removed the buttons and glued them in place on the face. same goes with the small screen and the volume knob. this is what it looked like after everything was glued into place and some grinding from the underside.

at first i was trying to get the fake plate to fit over the pioneer stereo both top and bottom so it kinda snapped into place, so i cut off the sides and started working the dremmel for clearance, but the pioneer stereo was just a little too tall, so i ended up trimming off the the bottom and put a few pieces of thin foam on the very top of the face, and just underneith it so the fake plate was sandwiched between the gauge surround and the stereo.

heres a sideview

and a closeup of how i applied the foam.

finished product. sits perfectly flush and sits identicle as it would if the ford stereo was installed and being used.

hopefully this will prove helpfull to anyone else wanting to do the same, and feel free to ask for more info or pix if i wasnt clear about anything. props to brianw for giving me of the idea, even if it was obtained elsewhere
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:19 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Thanks both for adding to Brian's thread as well as sharing your own process---very well done!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #10

I did the same thing on my van. Mine holds by friction and the old volume button fits (after a little bit of modding) right over the new volume knob so that also holds it on.

tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote