Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #1

Ford Transit Van replacing Econoline for Sportsmobile?!

WOW! I was just visiting the Sportsmobile website and read something about 2013 being the last year for the Econoline van so if we wanted an Econoline based Spotsmobile we had better hurry up and order. I didnt know much about the Transit so I looked it up and turns out that 2014 will be the first year for the larger Transit in the US. I am assuming that Sportsmobile will be making conversions from this new van. I know it looks like a Sprinter and has a gas engine. Supposedly better gas mileage than the old van. Just what I got from Ford's website. Anybody have any inside info on what Sportsmobile is doing regarding the transition? This must be a huge development for them. Thanks

Whitely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #2

Re: Ford Transit Van replacing Econoline for Sportsmobile?!

They're supposed to be developing something based on an E series cut away which will be around longer than the vans.
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

It has been discussed more than once here. A sample thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10268

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #4

Garage

Assuming can be risky....
Old 03-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitely
WOW! I was just visiting the Sportsmobile website and read something about 2013 being the last year for the Econoline van so if we wanted an Econoline based Spotsmobile we had better hurry up and order. I didnt know much about the Transit so I looked it up and turns out that 2014 will be the first year for the larger Transit in the US. I am assuming that Sportsmobile will be making conversions from this new van. I know it looks like a Sprinter and has a gas engine. Supposedly better gas mileage than the old van. Just what I got from Ford's website. Anybody have any inside info on what Sportsmobile is doing regarding the transition? This must be a huge development for them. Thanks
I, too, had been surprised about the Transit news once I heard about it some time back. But like you and the rest here, there's been no news so far whether or not the Sportsmobile Transit is in the works. I think SMB wants to wait a year or two to allow the initial manufacturing bugs to be worked out before offering their own conversion of it. Like 'ridintall' said, I do know that there will be some form of cutaway of the Econoline that SMB will offer since the cutaway will last through possibly the end of this decade!

Two threads so far discussing the Transit:
The same thread Ford_6L_E350 provided.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10268

Thread here discussing Quigley 4x4's announcement that they're working on possible 4x4 conversion for the upcoming Transit.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10138
pffan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I was told the cutaway versions rear cab will be slightly wider than the current Econoline vans. It will be interesting to see how it looks. It might work similar to the Fuso concept rig they built but I'm sure a canvas type pop top will be an option as well. Pop tops have their advantages.
Production wise, my guess is having to engineer a new 4x4 system would be something they would have to look hard at. If the cutaway can accept the same 4x4 SMB design I would think it would be a no-brainer; they'll hang on to it as long as possible. The Transit has to be a different animal.
Provided SMB coops with someone like Kimberly to build something like their Karavan trailer for the cutaway, it will be something to see. I'd like to see a van with a smaller footprint and lower overhead height than the Fuso.
[Edit] I was told that the tops will be molded to look more as one piece on the cutaway version but the voyager top will still be offered if I remember correctly. It was the Fuso that I was told that will be a Kimberly type two piece hard top. The Ford cutaway will be very similar to the standard van just a bit wider.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

I was at SMB today and asked about the Transit. They are already looking into offering a conversion. I asked about four wheel drive but I guess its an all wheel drive vehicle anyway. The cutaway will be the SMB 4x4 package. I never asked about where the Fuso is on the list. Things can change at anytime so we'll just have to see. I wonder if they can make the Transit "cool looking"?

Old 03-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I was at SMB today and asked about the Transit. They are already looking into offering a conversion. I asked about four wheel drive but I guess its an all wheel drive vehicle anyway.
Yippee! I'm assuming when they're 'looking into offering a conversion', it is a full package with the galley, electrical, propane, fresh water & waste water tanks, etc., etc.? Since it's a low-riding vehicle, I'm not sure how a chassis-mounted generator would work on this but it is installed and works great on the Sprinter already, so we'll have to see. I can only imagine how cool the LB Jumbo Roof DRW will look with the EB50-type of package in it along with an extra pair of captain's chairs!

The Transit overseas can be had with 4x4, or all-wheel-drive (not sure), but Ford has already said that they have no plans to offer the factory-designed/installed system here in the US. Luckily, Quigley is looking into this at this time.

Quote:
I wonder if they can make the Transit "cool looking"?
I'm sure they can, along with other companies such as Aluminess. I wouldn't be surprised if Aluminess is already developing products for the Transit, such as the bumpers, ladders, roof racks, etc. On another Transit thread on this forum, there is a picture that a user Photoshopped using a Transit picture with his own rendition of what an Aluminess-ed Transit could look like... and I love it! I do know that there are long list of things that SMB offers on their vehicles, such as the aluminum and fiberglass running boards, etc. I think the Transit would look sweet on the body-color fiberglass running boards!!

Quote:
The cutaway will be the SMB 4x4 package. I never asked about where the Fuso is on the list. Things can change at anytime so we'll just have to see.
I figured SMB's existing 4x4 system could be retained on the cutaway cause of similar dimensions. The Fuso isn't my kind of vehicle but that type of market is a huge hit overseas and there is demand in the States for it. Hopefully, SMB can figure out how to improve on the Concept version and get it to market as quick as they can. The Mitsubishi Fuso is a great truck as I hear but guzzles fuel even with a small diesel!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Myself I really think this Transit will be the Road Trek type vehicle of SMB. New styles grow on some folks. I hated the 08 Ford look at first but now I don't have any issues with them at all except for the fact that my white 06 looks better

Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #10

Great news guys! Before I say what it is, I'll explain how I got the info.

I have Facebook and frequent the Sportsmobile page. I'm not sure if it's the SMB West, Texas, or North. They had posted a few pictures of someone's custom SMB Econoline entitled "Blackmobile". There was a debate on advantages of the Econoline diesel or V10 engine until one guy asked about the Transit and whether or not it would have diesel. I explained to him about the 3.2L I5 that will be offered. I then asked if SMB planned to offer their Transit package and proceeded to list all all the advantages the Transit has over the Sprinter. Sportsmobile's answer to my post? I can only paraphrase off the top of my head now but it's something like, "We are definitely going to do Sportsmobile Transit!"

So it's official, they're planning on offering packages for the Transit!!! I didn't want to keep asking lots of questions so we can only assume the rest. Such as when would it start to be offered, features, etc. I did ask if I could announce on this forum and they said that I could. Great news for me and some of you that wanted SMB to do the Transit!