Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #1

No Propane Water Heater in RB?

Yeah. We're still going back and forth about the length of van we build. One thing that caught my eye when looking over the SMB options sheet: the 6 gallon propane water heater isn't available on an RB? Doesn't this mount under the sofa/bed in a -50 floor plan?

I recall reading some older posts about a member that was denied a hot water heater in their build when combined with a grey water tank. As our van will just have grey water generated by the sink for hand washing/dishes, etc., I'm not too worried about a grey water tank. Hot water is a must though.

Yeah, yeah...if we just build an EB we can have our cake AND eat it too, but we're still undecided. I'm not totally adverse to the longer van, but I'm still leaning toward an RB if possible. As others have mentioned, it's a bit easier to maneuver, park and is just a bit less expensive.

Thanks all!

- Da Shark

Old 08-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #2

Re: No Propane Water Heater in RB?

Have you talked to SMB about this? Seriously, they were willing to work with me when I was designing my van. You may have to compromise something else to make it happen and only they can tell you exactly what they can and will not do.

Doesn't really matter what the forum thinks, they only do what they do.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #3

Hey Mike,

Thought I'd ask here first. I've bugged Jonathan with about 1,378 emails already and didn't want to push my luck. I figured with the experience and wisdom present here, somebody may have been down this road before.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

We have propane H2O in an RB but it's a walk through, not a RB50. Getting ready to take it out, though. Don't use it (can heat dish water on the stove, bath water in the sun) and need the storage space.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #5

We have the propane Suburban 6 gal water heater in the RB50. It fits with a slight extention on the Drivers side at the rear. The Furnace is on the Passenger side. Works Great. We had the Shower mounted on the Rear Cabinet behind the Furnace so we can shower out back.

Paul
Old 08-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #6

Ditto on what rionapo said. We have propane hot water in an EB50 and I'd give it up, but it would be a hassle to pull out and we're not hurting too bad for storage room. What little hot water we need is easy to heat on the stove.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbonesclimber
We have the propane Suburban 6 gal water heater in the RB50. It fits with a slight extention on the Drivers side at the rear. The Furnace is on the Passenger side. Works Great. We had the Shower mounted on the Rear Cabinet behind the Furnace so we can shower out back.

Paul
Hi Paul,

Nice van! Glad to see that someone else knows who Walker Evans is

Do you seem to want the space in the van that the furnace and water heater take up? If we go the RB route, I see us just adapting and adding a Thule storage box on the roof for things like the BBQ, camping chairs, etc.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
Ditto on what rionapo said. We have propane hot water in an EB50 and I'd give it up, but it would be a hassle to pull out and we're not hurting too bad for storage room. What little hot water we need is easy to heat on the stove.
I can see where you and Don are coming from. In my past camping days, this is exactly what we'd do. But with the very good possibility that we'd be camping en route to Saskatchewan, via BC, Alberta, etc., and in the winter, having hot water (for a shower, let's say) with one less step just seems more RV-like to us. I just think that the move up to a SMB would add that level of convenience I suppose. Just my $0.02.

Overall, we're just trying to avoid going to a Class-C sized rig and the Sportsmobile really ticks off all of the boxes: 4WD, garageable, somewhat easier to drive. I'm willing to give up some amenities but not at the expense of some comfort.

May be a non-issue if we go with an EB but I'm still leaning toward the shorter van...
Old 08-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #9

Obviously there is the Espar option if you have diesel, which we really like. Short of that you could install just a flat plate heat exchanger and small coolant pump into the coolant loop, and have hot water anytime the engine is warm. Just make sure the flow is routed through the engine block, not just through the heater core.
BACKRDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #10

Garage

Love my Espar/flat plate. Espar also makes a gasoline variant.

http://www.espar.com/products/fuel-o...ydronic-5.html