Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #1

SMB Cutaway Project?

Does anyone know what became of this, as posted at http://www.exploringelements.com?

Old 09-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: SMB Cutaway Project?

SMB west is starting a project that incorporates a fiberglass rear body. I'm told it will be slightly larger than the standard van body. Can't recall who is making the rear shell.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #3

So will that be more like an XP-Camper or is it in anticipation of the E-Series demise (but supposedly continuing with a cab & chassis)?

I'm anxious to find out what becomes of this!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark
So will that be more like an XP-Camper or is it in anticipation of the E-Series demise (but supposedly continuing with a cab & chassis)?

I'm anxious to find out what becomes of this!
I'd say both. I talked with Alan and Jonny about it but I don't recall if they had planned to use the typical pop top SMB has used for years. I was looking at the Fuso at the same time and was discussing both builds. I do know they are prepping for the E series going away and want to offer something similar in size. Their problem with the Fuso at this point in time is the regulation on the engine. US Fuso = no engine power. In other countries this isn't an issue. I also am waiting to see what comes of the Ford cutaway.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #5

Thanks Dave. Yeah, the Fuso power options are limited and I'm not sure if the transfer case in the current Canter has a low range. Not only that, but a Fuso 4x4 costs a good $10,000 more than a V-10 van. The Econoline is certainly SMB's bread and butter and I can't see the Transit filling it's shoes (even if Quigley claims to be "working" on a 4WD conversion).

I have heard rumors of the cab & chassis E-Series continuing production and have even heard that a basic E-Series will still be available after regular production ceases. Whether that means just a plain white van with a 5.4 only or just for fleets (it worked with the Crown Vic in my field) remains to be seen.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #6

Apropos the Fuso, why on earth didn't SMB just do this:

instead of the rather bizarre thing they did come up with?
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke

Well I think they are. Their rig is just a concept vehicle I was told. From what I gather they are doing something similar with one of the big time companies. I can't remember who they said they're in cahoots with but right now the problem is eco standards the US forces on emissions. You can have the most well designed cabs in the world but if the engine can't pull a grade???

Old 09-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke

Well I think they are. Their rig is just a concept vehicle I was told. From what I gather they are doing something similar with one of the big time companies. I can't remember who they said they're in cahoots with but right now the problem is eco standards the US forces on emissions. You can have the most well designed cabs in the world but if the engine can't pull a grade???
The engine can't pull a grade because it wasn't intended to. While I admit, the concept of an expedition vehicle built on a mid-sized COE, 4x4 turbo diesel chassis is awesome, the Fuso itself is meant for in-town deliveries and services, not a long-distance cruise missile with lots of power for passing.

Now if SMB would just come up with a concept on this cutaway, I could figure out what I want to do!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #9

Good to hear that the weird Fuso-thing SMB were showcasing a while back was not intended to actually be built. It was a bizarre concept to say the least, with a hugely complicated and space-wasting design.

Anyway, I don't think it's so much that the USA diesel regs are that much stricter, they're just different, though I have heard talk lately of trying to develop a single set of standards. Since US truck makers have now effectively ceded design and manufacturing to the Europeans, they are in the mood to pressure the government to adapt a single standard. The protectionism they created and maintained for so many decades no longer works in their favor since they are basically just importing European vehicles themselves.

But still, if you want to drive something as a "a long-distance cruise missile with lots of power for passing", I don't think that the Fuso type of truck is really intended for that sort of thing. There's a reason why they don't go that fast.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Well All Terrain Warrior is the Aussie company they will be teaming up with but the design will be much different than their concept vehicle I was told. Yeah that entrance way wasn't too cool was it.
There is some stuff on the web about the merger so I guess that is already out of the bag.

As far as the cutaway, it will have have a similar pop top like out vans. It's supposed to have an additional 6" of width inside which may seem small but is actually quite a bit larger when seen in person while offering a similar overall footprint to the E-series. My guess is they will also offer some kind of hard top but am not sure at this point.

I'll be posting some picks of the new vehicles soon and had planned to do a write up on them on my web site.