Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #1

Generators

So I'm looking at the build sheet and I see almost 4k listed for the 2.8k built in gas powered generator. Is it worth it? I'm tempted to go with a nice honda and just chain it up on the outside when I need it.
Does that work well?

What do you all think?

Thanks
Frank

Old 06-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #2

Re: Generators

Need more info on what the rest of the set up is. A/C, Cooking, etc.?
Old 06-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #3

FWIW all my buddies have big ol' gennies built into their class As and truck campers. And they still use Honda or Yamaha generators. Not sure about what SMB uses, but the portables are really quiet, especially if you use a box. And very much more versatile. And depending on needs, can be left at home to save weight and space. And 4K is a lot to use on other stuff. And I agree we'd need to know your power needs, but in our vans usually that built-in is for A/C use. Or many, many blended drinks
Old 06-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #4

A built-in generator is nice if you want to use it while driving. It will also save on setup and refueling duties.

A portable inverter generator will still be quieter, and probably use less fuel, and can be used any other time you need portable power.

Also keep in mind the built-in will reduce clearance. It's not bad on a Ford, but I was behind a Sprinter a couple weeks ago, and it looked like even speed bumps could be questionable.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #5

I have never seen a SMB with a built in generator in person and very rarely see them included in build threads.

Carrying a portable is quite common and I have been very happy with the honda eu2000. It has enough power for most everything except running an AC unit. Having a good portable generator is handy for other uses too.

R
Old 06-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Our primary use would be for the air conditioner. The wife hates the heat and we have dogs. We don't plan on leaving them in the EB Ford very often. But sometimes we'd stop at a restaurant on the Road for an hour or so. In such situations, we want to be able to leave the hounds in the van and the AC running.

Also, wifey hates the heat. So we're looking for the most efficient cooling set up for hot nights.

Thanks again,
Frank
Old 06-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #7

For A/C while parked at stops, I think a built-in would the way to go. Lugging one out of storage would get tiring after a while.

Semi-built in would work too though... like a vented bumper box or even front hitch rack. Honda (and Yamaha?) offer remote start.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #8

Orbital Machine Works in
Lewisville TX manufactures a locking base plate assembly for Honda and Yamaha generators that can be attached(welded) to a receiver hitch tube providing theft resistant mounting of the small generators
These are sold through their online store perfect casita.com
2011 Ford Raptor
2002 Casita
yfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFfranky
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Our primary use would be for the air conditioner. The wife hates the heat and we have dogs. We don't plan on leaving them in the EB Ford very often. But sometimes we'd stop at a restaurant on the Road for an hour or so. In such situations, we want to be able to leave the hounds in the van and the AC running.

Also, wifey hates the heat. So we're looking for the most efficient cooling set up for hot nights.

Thanks again,
Frank
Look in to a Coleman Polar Cub if you want a roof air unit. They are 9500 btu and will run with a Honda 2000 genny. I had one on my last van and it worked great with the Honda. I wish I could have one now but won't work with a SMB pop-top.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #10

My SMB has the onan generator minuted underneath. Even with an additional muffler installed it's still not as quiet as a honda or other portable benny but it sure is convenient to just turn it on an run. Tuns my rooftop AC without any problems while recharging the house batteries at the same time.about the only thing you can't simulataneously do is microwave and run ac.

Not too bad inside the van when running but you can definately hear it. In a campground with nearby sites, it would probably be too loud. Bonndocking or in a larger space, it's fine. I only run it for extended periods when I need ac. Otherwise just run occasionally to recharge batteries
travelguy2500 is offline   Reply With Quote