Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #1

New 2014 Quadvan heading to California for a RB34 Buildout

So I am finally getting a rig! I found a pretty sweet donor van (new) and am arranging to have it taken down to SMB West. Really looking forward to the build. Here is the before picture.

Here is the before picture:

I am aiming to build something like this from Sportsmobile site:

I am going with the RB34 plan basically with a longer gaucho because I am tall, 6'4" so I need a long and comfortable place to sleep as well as a good social area for friends and family.

Plus I like having the clear path down the center for a long storage area, walkthrough, etc.
Really stoked to become part of the family, would love to hear from anyone, but especially quadvan owners and RB 34 peeps to help keep me on the right path. Definitely planning my first SMB as my dream build.

Thanks
Joe

Old 10-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #2

Re: New 2014 Quadvan heading to California for a RB34 Buildo

Welcome to the addiction!
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #3

Welcome! Great floor plan.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #4

I just realized a flaw, in that the gaucho has no where to open into a proper bed for the Mrs and I. Still undecided if making her sleep upstairs is a better idea or not. Working now on a custom floorplan that is more in line with my needs. I have a small child (turning 1 on Tuesday) so the 3rd captains seat is non-negotiable, but it's location sure is!
Old 10-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #5

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so damn tall. If I were short enough to sleep the width of the van, life would be soooooo much easier. Alas, I am not, so here is the new leader assuming the 9" extension will fit between the gaucho and the drivers seat, then I'm set!:

The only real flaw with this is the water tank and fuel tank are both on the same side. Is that enough to offset the weight too much?
Old 10-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #6

prally,

Are you in the Portland area? I've got a very similar setup to what you want, minus the 3rd captain's chair. If you want to see if setup will work for you I'd be happy to show in person.
frostyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by prally
Sometimes I wish I wasn't so damn tall. If I were short enough to sleep the width of the van, life would be soooooo much easier. Alas, I am not, so here is the new leader assuming the 9" extension will fit between the gaucho and the drivers seat, then I'm set!:

The only real flaw with this is the water tank and fuel tank are both on the same side. Is that enough to offset the weight too much?
That gaucho with the captain's chair should fit. I've seen that floor plan several times. It's what I plan to do next van too so I sure hope it works!

No worries on water and fuel on the same side. Mine is that way from SMB (RB10 floor plan). 100 or so pounds of water doesn't really mess up the dynamics of one of these 10k beasts. At least I'm assuming you're going with around a 10 gallon tank (which is actually on 80 lbs. full). I believe that is standard, but I don't know much about newer SMB practices. Even if you had a 20 lb. water tank, I wouldn't think 160 lbs. on one side would matter much. You'll probably have a couple hundred pounds of batteries on the other side to even things out.

Your wheels are awesome. I hope you keep em.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #8
Site Team

I would say that once you start narrowing in on your floorplan, bounce your configuration off of a knowledgeable sales representative at SMB. The online tool is far from exact, so there may be 'immoveable objects' that are not accurately represented in the online tool. Do this before you get too far down the path. For the money you are investing, a personal visit would not be a bad idea either.

Herb
Old 10-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyone
prally,

Are you in the Portland area? I've got a very similar setup to what you want, minus the 3rd captain's chair. If you want to see if setup will work for you I'd be happy to show in person.
Oh, I am in Seattle, but this might very well be worth the trip, a super kind offer, thanks!!!

Herb, agreed, thanks for the advice! I am planning to get down there closer to build time.

Thanks
Joe
Old 10-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
DVD

Recently bought a RB30 and we've only done a couple of weekend shakedown trips (taking off cross sentry next week) but I'm finding a fair amount of versatility in sleeping arrangements for my wife and I.

I figured the "short" gaucho wouldn't work for me (6 ft.) but was pleasantly surprised that with the driver seat turned 90 degrees and padded up a bit, I have plenty of room. Especially comes in handy while "stealth" camping without the PH up.

The original plan of her sleeping on the gaucho with me in the PH didn't work out due to her sensitivity to the noise of the refrigerator at night. I added insulation around the reefer -- we've started "supercooling" it in the evenings and turning it off at night. This has worked well.

It's difficult to anticipate every possible detail, but just thought I'd add our experience, FWIW.
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote