Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #1

dedicated refrigerator 110v AC on / off switch

Does sportsmobile typically install a dedicated accessible and visible on / off switch for the refrigerator 110v AC outlet ?

The probable issue is when one is dry camping with the power inverter on. The power inverter will convert 12V to 110V AC. The refrigerator will sense that both 110V AC and 12V are available and choose the 110V AC which is typically shore power. So the 12V battery is running power thru the power converter at a loss of 10% heat / power. The refrigerator is also possibly less efficient running on 110V AC as opposed to 12V power. Creating another power efficiency loss.

So having a dedicated accessible and visible on / off switch for the refrigerator 110v AC outlet allows one to force the refrigerator to use 12V directly from the battery / solar panel by passing the power inverter. Additionally Isotherm has a smart refrigerator controller which optimizes power use for dry (battery / solar panel) vs shore power (110V AC) camping (is not technology wonderful ?).

Is the above logic safe and sane ?

all / any comments and feedback appreciated, thanks in advance

jronne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: dedicated refrigerator 110v AC on / off switch

Seems I've seen them install the fridge on a dedicated circuit breaker. I don't worry about it too much cause I rarely keep the inverter on for long periods unless I'm running the microwave and in that case the engine is usually running. But yes it is a valid question.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #3

^^^^^^what he said^^^^^

I usually run the inverter only to use the micro for very short periods but having a switched outlet would certainly work. Another way would be to run a dedicated 110V outlet to the fridge that is only wired to shore power....that may require a 110V transfer switch.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #4

Mine is on a circuit breaker for AC. I leave it off unless we are plugged in.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:27 AM   #5

BrianW's setup is better than mine.

My micro and fridge are plugged into the same outlet from the breaker. I turn the fridge off with the temp control dial when inverting to use the micro. I have to remember to turn the fridge back on when done with the micro, which doesn't always happen.

Great. Thanks for adding another item to my To Do list.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:07 PM   #6

I was thinking a separate switch for the refrigerator AC is the cleanest install.

The circuit breaker or turning the inverter on / off means other equipment items go off and on with the refrigerator AC.
jronne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jronne
I was thinking a separate switch for the refrigerator AC is the cleanest install.

The circuit breaker or turning the inverter on / off means other equipment items go off and on with the refrigerator AC.
Several ways to do it. You can split off the AC socket and cut in a standard light switch and new socket. A simple solution would be a power strip that has a switch on it and just plug the fridge into one of those but not quite the best looking idea. The cleanest would be to put the switch on the fridge control panel itself. An LED indicator would be a nice touch showing AC is being used rather than DC.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote