Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2007, 08:48 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Who is close to SMb CA ? help needed

We want to do a thorough job of documenting our SMB build, but we are in TX and the van will soon be delivered to SMB CA for the 4WD work.

We are working with the SMB TX folks since we live right here in town, and I feel like I can do a nice job of documenting the work in Austin once the van gets here...

...but I may need some help in Fresno....

Anybody close want to volunteer?

Greg in Austin
SMB on Order

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #2

What kind of assistance are you thinking about? I'm guessing it's more than the typical pictures you can get from SMB...

I'm about 4 hours away, but have a few trips in my future I wouldn't mind helping out at all.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
B,

Yes, probably more than the typical shots.... but since I am not dealing directly with SMB West, even the typical shots will be a little tougher.

I don't know exactly yet when it will arrive at SMB West, and I am not sure exacty how long it will live at SMB West, but I would like to somehow chronical its stay and progress towards ultimate completion.

If you happen to get up that way while it is around, I might ask you to get some pics.

Thanks,

Greg in Austin
SMB on Order
Old 10-28-2007, 02:41 PM   #4

OK..... Good News...

Our SMB, or at least its skeleton, is supposed to be delivered by Ford to SMB West this next week for 4WD modification.

Anyone headed there next week? Anyone live close by?
We would love to get some photos before and after

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:59 PM   #5

I think I have to take my medicine and finally get the van down there next week for them to rip it apart. I'll let you know which day specifically I'll be there, but I'm thinking Monday the 5th.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:49 AM   #6

fyi- took the van down on monday. Got the clear message that SMBw does not want us checking on each other's vans.

I'm holding my breath to see how it works out, but the pressure is rising.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buji
fyi- took the van down on monday. Got the clear message that SMBw does not want us checking on each other's vans.

I'm holding my breath to see how it works out, but the pressure is rising.
Fingers crossed that Ford, and SMBw, will do the right thing and that everything comes out right on your van.

How did they let you know about not wanting people checking on each other's vans? Just curious. I will say that if SMBw was mine, it would tell me my customers felt they weren't being communicated with enough.

Herb
Old 11-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #8

Quote:
I will say that if SMBw was mine, it would tell me my customers felt they weren't being communicated with enough.
Maybe Herb, but I'm more sympathetic with SMB's position on this one and would have the same policy myself if I owned SMB.

Being asked to provide build updates, via a conduit and not the actual customer, is a drain on resources, a potential liability to SMB and greatly multiplies the potential for mis-communication.

I've always found SMB's communication to be clear and direct when I've asked them myself, and that seems to be the typical experience of others too.

Just seems as if SMB has recently taken a harder line on this issue and made it "official".

Rob[/quote]
Old 11-08-2007, 10:22 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
Quote:
I will say that if SMBw was mine, it would tell me my customers felt they weren't being communicated with enough.
Maybe Herb, but I'm more sympathetic with SMB's position on this one and would have the same policy myself if I owned SMB.

Being asked to provide build updates, via a conduit and not the actual customer, is a drain on resources, a potential liability to SMB and greatly multiplies the potential for mis-communication.

I've always found SMB's communication to be clear and direct when I've asked them myself, and that seems to be the typical experience of others too.

Just seems as if SMB has recently taken a harder line on this issue and made it "official".

Rob
[/quote]

I hear you Rob, but what I don't think SMBw realizes or fully comprehends, is that while $100K vehicles are just typical business for them, for most of us, it's a once (maybe twice) in a lifetime experience which can be a little nerve-wracking and overwhelming. In general, I've found SMBw fairly communicative when directly asked questions, but again if it were my business/livelihood, I'd make it a point to proactively communicate with customers who've placed an order, at least every two weeks as a standard business practice. I agree communications via a third party can create problems, but it's because the customers aren't getting enough communication, is why many have resorted to third party means.

Herb
Old 11-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #10

I think part of the problem is SMBw, despite all their effort, comes off as exasperated and overwhelmed once they've got your money. There seems to be a huge disconnect between Peter and Leo, and maybe from Leo to the floor.

The problem is, I don't think they realize the impression they're giving. I don't know if they're immune to feedback or ignore it, or it's just something we get on the forum and hash out where they are not involved. For example my open box of parts shipped for my top- I'm not bothering to tell them about, yet you all know about it. It's not really fair, but I can cite 10 other examples where they haven't listened, so I'm not bothering to try to help them anymore.

Regardless we're forming a strong user community here, so our impressions and issues with them are going to be magnified (or seem magnified)- and all without their side of it. I have heard that Liz (?) monitors the yahoo group and will respond when they feel there is an issue (I think during the discussion of the blowout in baja SMB made a post on safety) but I doubt they're going to have time (or interest) to be as involved as we are in any forum. Actually I'm unclear on whether they know sportsmobileforum exists.

If I were them I wouldn't post on here either, but I would follow the discussions and take things from it, things that might not be gleaned from the floor- like the concept that allowing any customer to check on any other customers' vans might even be occurring, much less a liability.