Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #1

Anybody seen or done a side dinette?

Has anyone considered / seen / built a "side-dinette" SMB? By this I mean one where the dinette is on one side of the van, and converts to a lengthwise bed.

Think a "dinette W" turned sideways...

Seems to us that this would allow a lot more flexibility with a dinette, otherwise it pretty much has to go in the rear of the van, no matter what else you might want to put there.

Attached is a PDF of an EB Chevy layout along these lines. It would also have a Cruiser II top with bed, so there are two sleeping areas at night. The 6' x 3' (+/-) area where the table is centered would be the dinette space. This layout allows either of us to use the toilet or kitchen at night without disturbing the other person, plus has great access and ventilation for the kitchen with a rear door open.

Thoughts?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf EB Chevy with side dinette and Cruiser II top.pdf (128.1 KB, 129 views)

chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #2

Re: Anybody seen or done a side dinette?

For some reason I can't open the .pdf, so I can't see exactly what you have proposed, but I would wonder whether the curvature of the van's sides would interfere or make it less desirable (?). My SMB does have a bed along one side - and it's also a couch and so gets sat upon - however, the couch back does hold one out from the wall a ways. I guess I'm just wondering how much "extra" space you might need in order to not have the walls' curvature play a part.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #3

Here's a jpg of the kind of thing I was thinking about:

Attached Thumbnails
side-dinette-example.jpg  
Old 10-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to 2much8ntenough

I have this set-up in a custom Ford EB floor plan, and love it. It is two facing bench seats (about 4 feet long) behind the driver's seat. It allows for forward facing seating while driving and a more open floor plan with an isle when camping. Let me know if you want more info or pics.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much8ntenough
I have this set-up in a custom Ford EB floor plan, and love it. It is two facing bench seats (about 4 feet long) behind the driver's seat. It allows for forward facing seating while driving and a more open floor plan with an isle when camping. Let me know if you want more info or pics.
Thanks, a pic or layout of your interior would be very helpful. My main concern is clearance between the end/corner of the rear bench and the stuff on the opposite side of the van. I don't see how I could get 4' benches and still be able to get by without having nothing opposite.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #6

In case you haven't seen them, that orientation seems to be standard for slide-in pop-up campers (e.g. Four Wheel Campers, Hallmark, etc.). Those floor plans may give you some insight regarding how it may fit into a van.
freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomrider
In case you haven't seen them, that orientation seems to be standard for slide-in pop-up campers (e.g. Four Wheel Campers, Hallmark, etc.). Those floor plans may give you some insight regarding how it may fit into a van.
Thanks for the update. This is actually a thread from a few months ago. The answer to my original question is, you can't get a 48" wide side dinette in a SMB mounted up front if you have any cabinets adjacent to the sliding door -- the best you can do is a twin-sized side dinette (36" wide or less) and even that only leaves you a bit over a foot of clearance.

The only way you could do 48" is to leave the door-side area empty until much further back in the van.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #8

There is a topic from "SPOOLING" with his Duramax Van that found a shop that does the dinette fold up/ bed configuration as well as the couch bed fold down.

He recommended an "interior customizing shop called "Relaxed Customs in Thousand Oaks. Not sure how much of a mark-up I had to pay for it but I paid $795 for it"

I happen to speak with Phil the owner and they are going to hopefully do one of the fold down dinette units in my Van. I you want more information on the shop and owner simply PM or email me and I will get it over to you.

I think the dinette cost is about $550 or so and the labor must be the difference or so....