Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Heated Wipers/Washer Solution?

Anyone here using any sort of aftermarket heated wiper blades or solution warming devices?

I've ordered parts to re-position the washer solution sprayers from my '03 E250 from the cowl to near the end of the wiper blade arm, thought heated blades or warming device might be a good addition too.

Looking for anyone who's already done this, their experiences and would they do it again.

TIA

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #2

Re: Heated Wipers/Washer Solution?

Very interested in your solution. Please post pics.

I am sure you are familiar with heat tape for pipes. I have always thought about running some of the smaller non-metalic Raychem (now Pentair) 3 watt self-regulating heat tape up to the tips of the windshield wipers.

http://pentairthermal.com/products/heat ... egulating/

As far as heating the washer fluid goes, I have cracked my windshield by just having the defrost blow hot air in the cab on the bottom of the windshield in minus temps, so I would be reluctant to heat the washer solution. However it seems to me that having the wipers not freeze up with gentle heat would be helpful. *

* In fact, I think that maybe tracing the perimeter of the headlight might be helpful for those who are having trouble with ice and snow buildup on their lights.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:37 AM   #3
JWA

Thanks E350-----'ppreciate the ideas!

From what I've read so far it would be kinda tough home fabricating a heated wiper blade, at least above my skills and patience. The brands searched so far seem to heat the blade more than the frame, heat tape might interfere with the blade's ability to contact the W/S fully across its length. What a great concept though to DIY!

As far as heated washer solution cracking the W/S---I'm in the windshield/glass biz and have only seen something like that happening when the W/S already has a crack or chip of some kind. Just as throwing a fully heated defroster onto a cold windshield with pre-existing break/chip will cause them to spread.

I'm not sure the max temp of a washer solution heater but it most likely wouldn't exceed 50* or so. Compared with below freezing temps that shouldn't be enough to crack a fully intact W/S.

If I do anything with this I'll be sure to update here.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #4

FYI:

http://www.everblades.com/

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #5

I can't find them now, maybe because they aren't made any more, but I remember that someone manufactured some pre-coiled plastic tubing that was designed to wrap around the upper radiator hose.

The coiled tubing was meant to be hooked into the WS washer tubing between the reservoir and the nozzles. The idea was that the heat from the radiator hose would be transferred to the washer fluid inside the coiled tubing.

I have no idea how well it worked, nor if it would contribute to WS cracking in low temps. Obviously, the engine would have to be warm for it to work at all.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
JWA

Hmmm that's an interesting concept---something that could be easily home built with little or no real expense.

For my E250 I could wrap one of the heater hoses which are very close to the washer reservoir outlet already. Given the physics of such a set-up the washer solution might never reach coolant temp which would reduce any thermal shock the W/S would see.

When I've swapped out my squirters for another type this just might be part of that. At worst I'd have a few extra feet of W/S squirter hose.

Thanks Mr Photographic--got any advice how to work a Nikon D70S for someone completely stupid about DSLR's ?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Hmmm that's an interesting concept---something that could be easily home built with little or no real expense.

For my E250 I could wrap one of the heater hoses which are very close to the washer reservoir outlet already. Given the physics of such a set-up the washer solution might never reach coolant temp which would reduce any thermal shock the W/S would see.

When I've swapped out my squirters for another type this just might be part of that. At worst I'd have a few extra feet of W/S squirter hose.

Thanks Mr Photographic--got any advice how to work a Nikon D70S for someone completely stupid about DSLR's ?
I always remembered it because it seemed like a pretty good idea. I think I remembered seeing them in the back pages of Car&Driver years ago. IIRC, they were $10 for a pair of tubes.

I liked that it didn't add another "system" to a vehicle that could break down. Even if the engine was cold, at least the windshield squirters would still work as stock.

Like you said, it could be duplicated for just a few bucks: Basically, just several feet of washer tubing, some zip ties and a little creativity. Maybe that's why I haven't seen them in a long time...a simple idea that requires no special equipment.

After seeing it, another idea that I had was putting something like an aquarium heater in the washer reservoir to keep the washer fluid warm. But aquarium heaters are pretty wimpy and probably wouldn't stand up to the vibrations in a vehicle. Then again, maybe it's all just a solution looking for a problem....

As for your last question, I'm a Canon user, but the concepts are the same. What's your problem?
Old 12-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #8
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographix

I always remembered it because it seemed like a pretty good idea. I think I remembered seeing them in the back pages of Car&Driver years ago. IIRC, they were $10 for a pair of tubes.

I liked that it didn't add another "system" to a vehicle that could break down. Even if the engine was cold, at least the windshield squirters would still work as stock.

Like you said, it could be duplicated for just a few bucks: Basically, just several feet of washer tubing, some zip ties and a little creativity. Maybe that's why I haven't seen them in a long time...a simple idea that requires no special equipment.

After seeing it, another idea that I had was putting something like an aquarium heater in the washer reservoir to keep the washer fluid warm. But aquarium heaters are pretty wimpy and probably wouldn't stand up to the vibrations in a vehicle. Then again, maybe it's all just a solution looking for a problem....

As for your last question, I'm a Canon user, but the concepts are the same. What's your problem?
For this part I'm somewhat in process of finding the OEM type of very thin walled hose---seems to be quite a rare commodity in the aftermarket world. Once the washer hose is wrapped around a heater core hose I'll use A/C line insulation to keep everything in place and aid heat transfer.

As I think about this more it IS a good idea since its passive to the max. My vision has the hose full of warmed fluid just waiting to be sprayed. The only concern is if the stock reservoir pump will have any issues with the increased hose length.

When this heated washer solution project is finished I'll certainly post something.

As for my photo dilemma---mostly kidding but mostly my real problem is failing to read the manual. I'm in waaaaaaaaaaaay over my head with this camera but eventually I'll figure it out. Thanks for the help though!
Old 12-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #9
JWA

Duplicate Post!
Old 02-17-2015, 08:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Anyone here using any sort of aftermarket heated wiper blades or solution warming devices?
Have you seen the HotShot?

http://www.windshieldwiperheaters.com/
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote