Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #1

Best tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)?

My 3500 dually Sprinter does not come with a TPMS, I guess because the US does not require it. Strange because it is the dually that really needs it since you would not know if one of the rear tires goes flat. The MB owner's manual says: “Do not install anything onto the valve (such as tire pressure monitoring systems) other than the standard valve cap or other valve caps approved by the distributor named on the inside of the front cover.” So it seems I need an internal TPMS. I am considering the TST internal system: http://tsttruck.com/product/tst-507-internal/.

Anyone have experience with TST? Is there anything better out there?

David

Old 12-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #2

Re: Best tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)?

My 2008 E350 came with the TPMS ... it's actually on the rim of the wheels. I would think a system that is on the rim would be better than a valve (even though the valve is on the rim it's mostly outside). The TPMS on the E350, BTW, is a PITA and has to be reset every time the tires are rotated (8,000 miles for me). It does work, however.
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #3

I also have an 08 E350 with TPMS. Of the 4 vehicles I have owned that have had TPMS, the Ford system is the second-easiest to reset after a rotation. As long as the little reset tool's battery is good enough to power the unit, that is. It takes one 20 second trip around the vehicle with the reset tool after entering the reset mode, which is outlined in the manual.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but my 04 Acura MDX didn't even have a reset function that I ever found, nor did I trust it. It falsely reported a problem on the one occasion that it tripped. All tires were within 3 PSI of the door sticker on a 8 degree day.

The easiest to reset is an '12 BMW 3 series, where you inflate the tires to the correct PSI, enter into reset mode on the car computer, and drive it half a mile.

The worst has been my 08 Infiniti, where I either pay about $60-70 to the Infiniti dealer to reset the system, or do a complicated workaround where I radically deflate each tire to specified different pressure, enter a silly KOEO sequence, short a contact in the wiring harness 5 or 6 times, and then drive at least 8 miles and hope for success. If it fails to reset, you have to wait a couple hours for the tires to cool back down and re-try.

All the systems I have had are the ones where the sensors are mounted on the wheels, not the valve stems.

</thread_hijack>
Old 04-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #4

I finally have my TPMS installed on my 2012 Sprinter 3500 dually and it is really great. It took me 4 months and there were lots of problems which I reported on the Sprinter forum:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpo ... stcount=27
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpo ... stcount=69

I purchased the TST (http://tsttruck.com) 507 internal system. I programmed the control unit and installed the repeater under the van near the rear axle (not sure I needed this). The valve stems provided by TST and the brackets supplied by TST did not work so TST referred me to Bill (Borg) Falkenborg who recommended this:

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/category/ ... ter-trucks

Since TST had promised me valve stems, they paid for these valve stems and I paid shipping. Bill also sent me at no charge new hand-made aluminum mounting brackets to fit these wheels. I had it all installed by a local tire dealer last week and I am very happy with this system, both the TPMS and valve stems. Anyone who has duallys will know it is a pain to check pressures and add air. With these valve stems it is as easy as the front tires. The only issue with the valve stems is that you can rotate only inner left to inner right, etc. Here are photos before, during, and after installation:

Old 04-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #5

Another reason to make my design as simple as possible so I can stick with the 2500.
FastAl is offline   Reply With Quote