Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #1

DIY backup camera

I think I should get a backup camera. Almost took out a post a few days ago.

I've seen a bunch online, and the most basic ones seem pretty similar: camera, connection to small LCD monitor. There are wired, 2.4 wireless, and even a wifi camera (sends to your iOS or Android device; pretty nifty).

I have some cameras, cabling, and other junk laying around, left over from other projects. I've got a security cam with IR LED lights and long runs of AV/power cable for that with BNC connectors. I've also got an old helmet cam, a Sony lipstick model that has pretty decent resolution for an older format camera. It runs on 12v and outputs to an RCA or BNC jack.

I figure I could mount up either one on the penthouse, or rain gutter. There's 12v back there from the trailer connector (I should probably make a permanent power takeoff from that somehow) so I've got power. My big question is the LCD screen. I see small 2+" screens at 4:3, 4.3" screens, 7" screens at 16:9. I can't think what else I'd use with them, but I'm wondering about resolution. Do I have to look for one with a certain resolution? Security cameras all seem to have a different way of listing that than other cameras for some reason. Also, many seem to have both DVD and backup cam connections. Does that mean the backup connection will automatically be reversed? That would seem to be a necessary feature

And while I'm at it, anyone have any experience with completely portable wireless ones? There are a couple for connecting to a trailer hitch, but the ones I saw in campgrounds had a much narrower field of view than back up cams. But I would think it would be really cool to have one you could also mount on your FRONT bumper for those moments when lining up tires four wheeling is essential. Maybe there'a a baby monitor one that runs on batteries or something.

Any advice appreciated.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:29 AM   #2

Re: DIY backup camera

Search threads for this. There are lots of write-ups out there. I remember reading several when doing my setup on my old van a few years ago. I'm about to do it again and will pass on what I find out. I'm currently considering a Boyo 5" wired monitor, which hopefully reverses the image since it is marketed as a backup camera. I'm unsure on the camera though. I had a GREAT field of view and overall performance out of my Boyo license plate style camera, which I mounted up top. It looked funny up there but worked great. Still, I can't decide if I want to put one up there like that again or go for something different.

Boyo stuff is pretty affordable and available on Amazon and is a solid brand.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #3

I went with a wireless camera for ease of installation. One of the trailer wires (electric brakes) was used to run power to the rear for the camera. A switch has been installed in the D/S windshield post and turns on the 12V to both the camera and the monitor. I went with a 5.6" monitor, 'cause the 7" was just too big.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
I went with a wireless camera for ease of installation. One of the trailer wires (electric brakes) was used to run power to the rear for the camera. A switch has been installed in the D/S windshield post and turns on the 12V to both the camera and the monitor. I went with a 5.6" monitor, 'cause the 7" was just too big.

Mike
Mike, how well dies the wireless camera work? I went with one years ago (cheap buy from Costco) but I was less than impressed with the video. Also, do they require dedicated monitors, or can the image be transmitted to an AV head unit maybe via Bluetooth?

Herb
Old 02-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #5

Mine works really well. It was a system, don't know if you get it to work with another display. The camera alone is over $300. For me, it was worth it over some of the ones I have seen. See the page:

http://www.rvcams.com/merchant2/merchan ... ory_Code=1

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #6

I kinda think if I go wireless I should go with the wifi option. Then I can use my iPhone or iPad.

I'm still trying to find out if essentially any camera will work with any monitor independent of resolution.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #7

What is your van?
JetUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetUnit
What is your van?
2001 Ford SMB 4x4.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #9

Turns out my lipstick cam does work with just 12v, and even a bit less, and will work over a 120' run of cable (I had one such from the security cam installation). Thought I'd lose too much signal. So now to wire it up with a cig lighter and a cheapo monitor.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:11 AM   #10

I have a sweet back up camera, it pretty much guides me right to where I want to go.

1980 Vanagon Westy (Taylor)
ProfessorPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote