Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #1

Outside light height

Hi all,

I am getting ready to install my outdoor light. I have a hi-top and am considering installing it above the original roof line. I understand the conflict this may have with any future awning.

My question is:
Are you all happy with the height that SMB intalls these lights at? My concern is that they are installed to low such that the light is blinding when you face the van.

Any insights?

https://www.starlightsinc.com/shop/pc/v ... dcategory=

Jjjewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #2

Re: Outside light height

Not really. The bulb melted the top of the lens on mine, and I really didn't like the battery drain for leaving it on all night. I replaced the bulb with 3x LED board lights (made for dome lights). The lens is still melted though.

If I was starting fresh I'd pick one that has a motion sensor option, I know they've been posted about before.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #3

Thanks.

I have the light already bought. https://www.starlightsinc.com/shop/pc/v ... dcategory=

My question is on the height of the light as it relates to hanging out near the rear doors in the dark.
Does the light illuminate the area nicely or is it harsh with the bulb being so close to eye level?

-JJ
Old 04-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #4

I always thought my light was too low. At least, it should be high enough to shine through the window if the door is fully open.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #5

I mounted mine above the roof line on my last van which was fixed top. The problem is that the van wall slopes as it goes up including the fixed top, so the lights which were meant to point down point straight out the higher you mount them. I didn't like mine at all and removed them. I'm about to remount the same lights with LED bulbs just below the rain gutter on my current van and hope they will be high enough since it is 4x4. The rain gutter is a good distance above eye level.

LenS has a light mounted just inside the side door in a unique way, which is only usable really with the side doors open, but it does provide good light around the door and is aimed down. Check out his gallery, there are pics of it floating around. It may not solve your outdoor light problem, but is a good addition to a porch light.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies!

To further complicate things, I have a sliding door.

-JJ
Old 04-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #7

I thought the stock one was too high, and so never use it.

It does blind people, and is sorta useless. If you just need light to see the ground around camp, stuff mounted real low and shining down is much more aesthetic, less annoying to neighbors, and doesn't blind you as you approach the van.

For doing work outside, a portable light is much better. I have a couple that attach with magnets to the van body if I need to work right close to it.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
If you just need light to see the ground around camp, stuff mounted real low and shining down is much more aesthetic, less annoying to neighbors, and doesn't blind you as you approach the van.
We mounted one down low for that exact reason, as well as one up high behind our side window. The lower one provides good visibility of the entrance area and step stool, and works even with the rear 40 door completely open.

I wouldn't say the upper one is useless, but we do use the lower one all the time and the upper one sparingly.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 04-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

My Starlite has never worked properly. I like the idea as it is a somewhat deterrent being a motion detector but it's failed twice. They (the company) does support it but call me lazy...it still goes on and off but the motion part has failed. When I enclose my awning the LED is great, not too bright not too dim like the standard bulb (YMMV). IMO outside lighting needs to be enough to cook by.

Don & Steve

Unlike my roof lights, these little LED lights are worthless for that. But you might not like the blinding light such as I have on my roof. I will say it's nice not to have to pull a propane light out if you have perimeter lighting but many find it over the top.

For lighting like this it's fine.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1075PH.jpg   dunbar chapin.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:25 AM   #10

thank you for the responses. I still haven't decided on what I'm going to do yet....

its a new build so id like to wire and install it before things get buttoned up.