Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #1

Aluminess Box choices

I've been looking at the different box's that Aluminess offers and I just wanted to get some opinions on what works good for you guys and why?
I"m not sure I need the bigger "Deluxe Box" with the rails but Im not sure that the smaller "Gallery" Box is right either. The One thing that I do like about the "Gallery" box is the way the door hinges down. It seems like if it was secured right it would make a light duty shelf while parked for things like dishes drying or something similar.
Does anyone have photos of the smaller gallery box loaded? Does it work well for your needs? As well how about the bigger box's, I know it all depends on what you want to carry with you. Ive been using the standard tray that came with the van when I bought it used, it works fine for most things but an upgraded box with a locking latch would be nice as well.
Thank you
Tracey

Old 06-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #2

Re: Aluminess Box choices

I have the larger box. Had the basic shoe box and upgraded. Love the ability to lock it. I carry the Honda EU2000, Gas oil, fire logs and such with room for some gear that I didn't want inside. Love it!
GoProCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #3

We have the regular box with swing down door and use it as a shelf often. I'm sure the deluxe box is great too, but this box also has rails on top for jerry cans and provides a great work surface for grilling, etc without needing another table.
scottman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Maybe Aluminess can make a custom box that is larger and has the fold down door. Maybe you don't need the space but I added another box to the larger box and love the space.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Maybe Aluminess can make a custom box that is larger and has the fold down door. Maybe you don't need the space but I added another box to the larger box and love the space.
Hey daveb, might you have some photos of your box set up? Ive looked through some of yours but I did not see any good close up photos.
I got to admit that same idea of adding a box on top of the smaller one if needed has crossed my mind as well.
Thank you
Tracey
Old 06-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I actually thought about a fold down door on the bottom box but I usually just throw out a table most of the time and don't want BBQ smoke around the van for the most part.

My upper Aluminess box is designed to hold 4-5 gal jerry cans or a couple of cans and a 5 gal propane tank. A Honda 2K gen fits too. The bottom box holds my pul-pal spade and has a shelf sized to hold my BBQ and a 1 gal propane tank along with other odds and ends.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0755PH.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #7

We have, and love the large box. Pay attention to which way the door swings if you own a trailer as well. We got it so that the hinge is on the inside side. Beneath the inner shelf I added a large LED light as it seems I need tools only after dark
Old 03-04-2015, 11:39 PM   #8

Garage

I am struggling with the same decision right now. I don't think I need the interior storage space of the deluxe box, but we are considering a rack system for bikes on top. The deluxe box will get the bikes near the right height to clear the spare tire, while galley box is lower and the bikes would not clear the tire without some sort of riser for the rack.

How is the visibility out the rear passenger side window with the deluxe box? And, DaveB, don't answer that since your double stacker is waaaay up there!!
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #9

Garage

[quote="daveb"]

daveb,

That is what I call a Quinella, that is a SUPER BOX. I'll stick with my current format. I've looked at your picture a few times and never noticed those two double stacked.

I intend to put a sub diesel tank where the spare tire was underneath.

I have the rails at the top of my large box at the rear to probably carry extra water, 2 x 5 gallon blue, one with tap for outside use, or both.

Will have to wait and see, what goes in box, oil, safety gear, snatch strap, gloves, d-shackles, firewood, wooden blocks, trash sack on spares, etc.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #10
Site Team

Garage

We bought the smaller box so as to not be too massive. Silly choice given the vehicle it's mounted on. Wish we had the bigger one.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote