Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2014, 12:23 AM   #1

Stoves that don't suck?

My trusty 30 year-old Coleman 2 burner propane stove is circling the drain.

All the new Coleman propane stoves (Triton and the current build of the classic 2-burner) and all the knock-offs just feel cheezy.
Who makes the good camp stoves these days?

I've seen a propane conversion for the robust Coleman liquid fueled stoves, but that seems like a band-aid and (the internet says) the heat output is greatly reduced since the burners weren't designed for propane.

I regularly heat two pots / skillets at once (so I want 2 burners). I want to use the ubiquitous green bottles. I'm willing to spend money on a quality tool that I'll use for a long time, but lets not go crazy...

Old 07-02-2014, 12:45 AM   #2

Re: Stoves that don't suck?

I'm pretty sure this is what I'm talking about:
http://partnersteel.com/prod01.htm

Anyone know if those can use green bottles or bulk-tank only?

Edit: Problem solved- http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Disp...ropane+adapter
Old 07-02-2014, 12:47 AM   #3

Pretty darn happy with our Camp Chef stove (closest current model would be weekender or yukon). Ours is probably overkill with legs, etc. but we could not beat the price - free from my brother in law.

If we were to buy one today it would be a Camp Chef Everest with ability to run off portable propane tank. This stove is powerful, compact but is not free standing.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:56 AM   #4

Check out the Primus stoves. They aren't cheap like Coleman but look pretty well made. I just replaced my old Coleman with a new Coleman and hate it already. I wish I had looked closer at the Primus or something better.

Primus Profile Duo Burner/Grill Combo-Us and Canada by Primus http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EE6A89E/ref ... Stb1KAMQF0
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:06 AM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

We have a Coleman, still holding up and gets used when we go to lake Powell, also have a camp chef but we rarely use it, been wanting to get the BBQ box for it. Those partner steel units look nice, I would take a look at those if in the market for sure. I gave up using the green bottles years ago, I use a refillable 5# tank.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
Pretty darn happy with our Camp Chef stove (closest current model would be weekender or yukon). Ours is probably overkill with legs, etc. but we could not beat the price - free from my brother in law.

If we were to buy one today it would be a Camp Chef Everest with ability to run off portable propane tank. This stove is powerful, compact but is not free standing.
How does that thing simmer? 20k BTU seems like a lot, but they're probably lying.

Not-free-standing is perfect for my application.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:29 AM   #7

We have the partner stove and have been very happy with it. Its extremely well built.

Caution on the adapters. I bought a cheap one off of Amazon and it did not work with the 1-lb. bottles. The gasket did not seal. It looked like the model of the one you have in your link.

I ended up paying about $24 at Bass Pro for one that works very well. Looks more like this one.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... DfRvvD_BwE
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:24 AM   #8

We use a Colman gas stove. Only problem has been the fuel prices are going through the roof. Solved that when I found an Amish gas station with a white gas pump. My price per gallon DROPPED by $10.

Was looking at Colman propane stoves a few years back. Burner flame regulated poorly. Seemed to be either full on or off. Nothing really in between. Outer Banks trip this spring saw an old Colman propane at the trash station. What can go wrong?? Brought it home and found that the o-ring on the hose going from the stove to the tank was split. 49 cents later the stove worked fine and the flame regulated well not like the newer ones. I would guess the stove was 15-25 years old model. Gave to friend that was just getting into camping.

Design problem with all of these stoves is the small diameter burner. Your home range has a 6" - 8" diameter burner to disperse the heat and reduce burning. The 3"(?) diameter Coleman style burners just concentrate the heat to much and can easily burn food when set on high.

Stoves really don't "suck" the tanks are pressurized.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusBlake
How does that thing simmer? 20k BTU seems like a lot, but they're probably lying.

Not-free-standing is perfect for my application.[/quote]

Our unit, which must be at least ten years old, simmers fine, heats fast, worked like a charm at 9600 ft on the NorCal meet up. In its initial usage, my bro-in-law used it for his daughter's many girl scout trips. He is one who buys what he feels is the best and has no reluctance at immediately replacing with something he finds better or more matched to his current usage. When the daughter left for college, he bought the CC Rainier for his micro trailer as room was at a premium. I have camped with him using his new unit and was very impressed, although I did not like the built in grill on the Rainer as we use two burners.

I have not used an Everest, .... yet
Old 07-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusBlake
I'm pretty sure this is what I'm talking about:
http://partnersteel.com/prod01.htm

Anyone know if those can use green bottles or bulk-tank only?

Edit: Problem solved- http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Disp...ropane+adapter
I have a Partner Steel stove in my teardrop secured with two quick-release mounts (I almost always move the stove to a tabletop to cook as part of my "don't cook where you sleep" philosophy from my backpacking days). A great stove, and I also have the exact same adapter from Amazon for the disposable green propane bottles. Those propane bottles are my emergency backup since I only have a single 5# propane tank in the teardrop. If there have been any leaks with the adapter, I haven't noticed.

The only thing I'm not 100% thrilled with is the windscreen. Same design as the iconic Coleman stove windscreen, but to me that means if the wind blows just right, the windscreen collapses down on the pots and pans on the stove. I never like those wavy support arms that you put through the moveable flaps of the windscreen.

The quality of the materials and construction of the Partner Steel stove is ridiculously over the top. This thing is made to last.

Herb