Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 04:12 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Cool New? Lug Wrench

Stumbled across these while searching for something totally different---interesting:

http://www.ezlugwrench.com/videosmanuals.html

Of highest interest among those videos is the second one, seems more usable to the typical van wheel. With its adjustable reaction leg it should easily adapt to the typical 3/4 or 1 ton van wheels. While these devices seem aimed mostly at the big truck market they'd be extremely handy to all of us too.

I've always carried a selection of 3/4" drive ratchets, breaker bars and impact sockets just in case I have to a road-side tire change. If this EZ Lugwrench works half as good as it seems it would be quite a thing to have on-board.

Not only would it make tire changes far easier its handy case would stow away neatly allowing me to reclaim a bit of space now dedicated to storing seldom used tools.

FWIW in 8 years I've changed one flat tire due road debris. Even so for the money this still seems something I can't live without.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #2

Re: Cool New? Lug Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
FWIW in 8 years I've changed one flat tire due road debris. Even so for the money this still seems something I can't live without.
You're lucky. Before I had both car trailers swapped to US-made Load Range E tires, I think I averaged about 1 flat per 1,000 miles.

I've only had 1 flat on the van, but it took me 1,000 miles to figure out that was why my gas mileage was so terrible. And that flat was because the rim cracked through.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:43 AM   #3
JWA

CarringB I'm the first one to complain about the high cost of Michelin LTX E Range tires but my good luck with them makes it all worth while in the end. There's no substitute for top quality tires for durability and dependability on our vehicles.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #4

Just curious but what do folks prefer to carry for a lug wrench. I just use the stock one but it is easy to mar the aluminum rims with them.

Thinking about picking up a dedicated socket and breaker bar or something similar.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #5

Wow; you got a stock torque wrench with your van? I only got a cheapie lug wrench.

I use a harborfreight torque wrench, and have a retractable wrench (½") I can use as well. And some pipe for a cheater, although since I torque my lug nuts I doubt I'd have to use it.

BTW, you can get those cheap torque multipliers for about half the price of the website listed on eBay, or even at Sears, although the SnapON and high zoot manufacturers charge a LOT more. And note that these don't act like torque wrenches; i.e. you can't apply anything but guesstimate torque with them. So good for taking off a stubborn nut but not so much for putting them on.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Wow; you got a stock torque wrench with your van? I only got a cheapie lug wrench.

I use a harborfreight torque wrench, and have a retractable wrench (½") I can use as well. And some pipe for a cheater, although since I torque my lug nuts I doubt I'd have to use it.

BTW, you can get those cheap torque multipliers for about half the price of the website listed on eBay, or even at Sears, although the SnapON and high zoot manufacturers charge a LOT more. And note that these don't act like torque wrenches; i.e. you can't apply anything but guesstimate torque with them. So good for taking off a stubborn nut but not so much for putting them on.
Ha, no torque wrench just the cheap lug wrench and lame bottle jack in mine. I've since upgraded the jack. I have torque wrenches but they are calibrated and in their own little special boxes with certs. Perhaps, an el cheapo from Harbor Freight would be the ticket. With so much riding on the lug nuts it's good piece of mind.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:14 AM   #7
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau

BTW, you can get those cheap torque multipliers for about half the price of the website listed on eBay..........
Yep---just scored one of these, slightly used but without the extra sockets supplied with the new kit, those I'd never use anyway. Whopping cost with shipping $27.84. For that cost its well worth trying one of these out.

Fact is while I'd love to support the claimed manufacturer if USA-based, sadly the number available new and pricing just on eBay alone suggests these certainly are not Snap On etc. High quality torque multipliers of similar capacity start at $500 used and rise quickly, seen a few approaching $2,500 and more.

Before this device popped into my vision I would use a selection of 3/4" drive tools always on-board. Ratchet, breaker bar, extension and 7/8" socket, brand new Wright Tool brand used for nothing but tire changes when/if needed. The factory supplied lug tools are pretty much worthless---they're used for nothing more than pry bars but they tend to pretty much disappear without any regrets.

For those road side changes that aren't temporary in place of carrying a torque wrench maybe a torque stick instead? They take up a lot less space and fit the need pretty much perfectly, probably a bit more convenient too---nothing to set.

But anyway when this thing arrives I'll put it through a test, maybe have the neighbor gal who's pretty clueless about mechanical repairs use it further testing its usefulness and ease of lug nut removal. Photos and a write up will ensue.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #8

I just use a HF torque wrench for mine. I think it maxes at or close to the 140 ft lbs I need for my lug nuts, and I've cross checked with the shop and found it reasonably lose. I wouldn't build an aircraft with it, but for use in the van for this it's fine.

And be careful with these converters. They can be too powerful. If a nut is stuck on you don't wanna apply enough force to shear off the bolt. And these can do that handily depending on its type and the bolt involved. Best use is for situations where the approved torque is present and you don't have enough room or muscle to turn the properly torqued nut, like the truck examples. If you know that your van lug nuts won't come off with a moderate amount of force over the torque value, I wouldn't reach for this yet. I've had some bad experiences so I'm a bit paranoid, though.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:22 AM   #9
JWA

Rob you raise a few good points---any tool can be used or abused which can cause unanticipated damage. My main interest in this type lug removal tool is centered on roadside changes, those I want done ASAP. The current array of 3/4" drive tools works well enough but replacing 5 pieces with just one that pretty much exceeds the need also has great appeal.

With my regular maintenance I should never have stuck lug nuts---part of my routine is keeping the typical dog dish wheel covers in place. Light oil on the wheel studs seems to assure lugs don't rust in place.

I'll probably follow my own suggestion about a torque stick for properly tightening after a change. With any luck that too should stow inside the included case with the tool I bought.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:15 AM   #10
JWA

Updating my own post here...........

The very affordable device did arrive pretty much on schedule--huge disappointment when opening the package though. What I received was far, far from what was presented---it appeared as though someone had disassembled it.

Seller did give full refund and told me to keep the pieces---it was hard to dispute after the photo array I offered as proof. For those interested those photos are here: http://s184.photobucket.com/user/JWA...20Lug%20Wrench

I have purchased another tool and it should be here next week. I'll follow my follow up with yet another follow up---geesh this gets tiring!