Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #1

Sunshade for Sportsmobile roof to help cool

Anyone have any ideas on a sunshade or something I could attach to the roof of my Sportsmobile to deflect some sun and help out the Starcool system? Something like the sunshades that are used in windshields but big enough to fit over the roof and attach somehow while the van is parked camping. I just purchased a 2001 Chevy Express Van Sportsmobile that I'm having troubling getting cooled down while camping. I just cut a camping trip short since the heat inside the Sportsmobile was basically unbearable even at night and with an electric fan running in addition to the Starcool. This van does not have a penthouse top (i.e. no top) so there is very little insulation in the roof. My prior Sportsmobile had the penthouse roof that I think helped and the Starcool seemed to keep it much cooler. I was thinking if I could attach something to the roof with deflector material it might deflect some heat.

I've had the Starcool worked on replacing both fans, etc. but still does not keep the van cool when parked. It seems to work a little better when running while driving. Sportsmobile does not offer much help on a van that is over 10 years old. Pretty much impossible to find anyone in San Antonio that will work on a Starcool system and don't really want to have to keep taking the van back to Austin. I'm considering rigging up a portable air conditioner and venting out one of the windows but really don't want to have to haul this around taking up valuable space.

Any ideas are much appreciated!

mericatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #2

Re: Sunshade for Sportsmobile roof to help cool

You could always add some solar panels and a roof box. It may sound crazy but it works well. Anything flat up there with some space between it and the roof works great.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #3

Thanks for the great ideas! A roof box might be exactly the right thing to grab some of the heat and keep it off the roof directly. This van does not have a rack system on top but sure I could get something installed and then attach a roof box and get some extra storage in the deal.

What racks or solar panels do you find work best? Thanks for the tips.

Diane
Old 08-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage

I used a product like these for my black toyota with a shell to keep Goose cool during training.

http://www.silvershademesh.com/StandardTarps.html

I might need to pull that out and have it to lay on the penthouse when it gets hot.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry
I used a product like these for my black toyota with a shell to keep Goose cool during training.

I might need to pull that out and have it to lay on the penthouse when it gets hot.
So its basically a metalized shade cloth? Does it need an air gap beneath it to work best?

Herb
Old 08-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #6

I really like the shade mesh idea. Easy to strap over the roof and multipurpose. Probably could easy attach thru windows or something and provide some heat deflection. Plan to order one to give it a try. Their photo gallery even showed little shade mesh jackets for pups. How funny! Might have to try one on my crazy spaniels.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry

So its basically a metalized shade cloth? Does it need an air gap beneath it to work best?

Herb
It worked pretty good just laying on top and the mesh would let the air though the windows. It is kinda wavy and does leave a little air gap.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mericatr
I really like the shade mesh idea. Easy to strap over the roof and multipurpose. Probably could easy attach thru windows or something and provide some heat deflection. Plan to order one to give it a try. Their photo gallery even showed little shade mesh jackets for pups. How funny! Might have to try one on my crazy spaniels.
Not sure if it was the same company but they did a run with K9 sar and our dogs name on them and they do help from the sun but not the radiant heat from the ground.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #9

What color is your van? If it's dark, it might help to paint your roof white or silver to reflect sun.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #10

I have a 2010 Chevy EB with the fixed top. Don't really know how much insulation they put in the top. I had a similar problem with the a/c. I live in Texas and visit the 4 corners quite a bit. Anyhow, I use this stuff(Reflectix 25-ft x 24-in Doulbe Reflective Insulation) in all my windows. This size roll runs about $22 and was more than enough for all my windows including the windshield. It will make a marked difference in your inside temps. It's amazing how much heat/cool you lose through those windows. I was at Bryce canyon a couple of years ago and the temps were dropping into the mid 20s at night. I would wake up about 0430 and run my little cube heater for about 20 minutes and then I was good to go through breakfast. This won't help your roof unless you pull it down and put up the Reflectix of course but should help otherwise.
oldbernie is offline   Reply With Quote