Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2014, 12:11 AM   #1

How do you carry your diesel additives?

I carry a bottle of DieselKleen, a 10 oz bottle of Optilube, a measuring cup, funnel, and tube while on trips in a cabinet in the rear of the SMB.

Problem is: The fluids stink -- literally. When going up and down into the mountains with big elevation changes, the fluid containers tend to vent a little through the caps. And it smells bad.

I'd like to carry the fluids on the outside of the van. How do you guys do it?

An Aluminess bumper/storage box would be ideal, but that's not in the picture right now.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:40 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: How do you carry your diesel additives?

I bought a tool pouch that I hang outside on the rear box. I totally understand having to carry the stuff. I've punctured a bottle before and what a mess. My problem besides having to carry several small bottles inside that might get damaged is climbing in altitude can push out of the top even if tightly sealed. I plan to hang a small pouch that is large enough to carry the amount I'll need on a trip.

But more than hauling is the bottles themselves are difficult to pour into the tank. A funnel get dirty. I've been looking for a quality bottle with a long neck as well as a way to measure the right amount to add.

Found nothing yet. Every time I fuel up it gets all over my hands

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:28 AM   #3

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

One more reason... sorry, forgot we are not supposed to have that discussion.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
Site Team

This setup does an OK job containing the smell, but you can still smell it. The small bottles do make using it easy, and I never use a funnel, just straight out of the bottle.

Aluminess bumper box was the best though....

http://opti-lube.com/opti-lube-opti-box.html
Old 09-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #5

I use the Ford (Motorcraft) additive and the unopened bottles are no problem, but, you are right, once opened ... yikes. I keep mine in a 1-gallon freezer Zip-Loc bag in the passenger side door with a can of Baby Wipes. When I buy the bottles I mark the 4-oz marks with a Magic Marker to see better and pour directly from the bottle into the tank.
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #6

I chose to premix Opti-Lube into my DK. It saves carrying the different bottles. A large DK bottle will work for most trips. I do have a smaller DK bottle that I dispense from. 10 oz/30 gallons.

Everytime I open either bottle, I squeeze it when I close the lid. I learned to do that years ago when a shampoo container vented while going over a high pass. If you squeeze enough of the air out the bottle doesn't vent odors as readily, because the pressure doesn't buildup like it can in container full of air.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #7

Stanadyne High Performance Additive is available in 16 oz. "single shot" bottles, in 12 bottle case lots. A single bottle treats 30 gallons. If you use these, there is rarely a need to store anything but unopened bottles. Very unlikely to leak or discharge odor if stored properly, especially out of sun.

I store 4 bottles in a 1 gal hefty freezer ziplock bag and stow that in the space in the barn door behind the fold-out pantry. This makes it really easy to access during fuel stops. In the rare event I have a partially consumed bottle, as extra caution, I put it in a spare gallon ziplock of its own and then put that back in the "main" ziplock.

Have had my rig for 3 years and gone through dozens of the stuff in this fashion without a hitch.

SMB: 2006 RB-50 6.0 PSD SMB 4x4
1988 Porsche Carrera Cabriolet
2001 Harley Davidson Electra Glide (very not) Standard
2002 BMW R1150GS
mossbeachpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #8

Garage

Uh oh, should I be using that stuff?
Old 09-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by salivan
I use the Ford (Motorcraft) additive and the unopened bottles are no problem, but, you are right, once opened ... yikes. I keep mine in a 1-gallon freezer Zip-Loc bag in the passenger side door with a can of Baby Wipes. When I buy the bottles I mark the 4-oz marks with a Magic Marker to see better and pour directly from the bottle into the tank.
I do the exact same thing with Optic-Lube..although I store it in the driver side door
Old 09-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #10

I've got a gas van, but I've always found creative places to store things like this under the hood. There are places there if you get creative. Under my hood, stuffed in the cavities on the front left near the battery and the front right near the AC stuff I have: A big set of jumper cables, paper towels (not a whole roll), a funnel, a battery charger, a lug wrench, spare belt, and probably a few other things I'm not thinking of right now. For obvious reasons you should be careful with anything super flammable, but I would bet I could store a quart of oil or two in there if I looked around awhile.
I should probably get in there and take an inventory.

Another good place that comes to mind is a Trasharoo on your rear spare if you have it. We put everything funky in there. Dirty laundry, dirty straps, wet and spare shoes, dog stuff. If sealed I would certainly put additives/oil/etc. in there too.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote