Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #1

Need help with on board air system.

Just acquired a 2005 sportsmobile. Can not get the air compressor to run. Van is equiped with front and rear lockers. Checked fuses, and relay everything seems to check out. Is there something that I'm doing wrong or over looking?

Jaimes35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #2

Re: Need help with on board air system.

In what position is the ignition switch when you've been trying? Both my ExtremeAir and ARB compressors only get power when the key is in the "On" position.

Also of note, the front locker switch will only engage when the rear switch is on first, at least they way they're typically wired.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #3

Key in on position. I have three switches on the lower left hand side of dash. I think one for compressor one for front locker and one for rear. Is this correct? Is there a relief valve on the tank to turn pump off when tank is full? How does the air chuck get air if tank turns off pump?
Old 10-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #4

Please explain a little more on what you have for a setup.
Do you have one or two air compressors.

If SMB installed the system it is probably like this:

The ARB system should have one small ARB compressor (it is colored blue). It is tied into the locker system. It should not be tied into a tank or other distribution system for tools and such. (SMB refused to do this at least through 2008) You should have three ARB switches. One should turn on the compressor, the other two engage the lockers. That air compressor does not fill a tank so it is only on for a very short moment as it builds pressure in the locker lines. From then on it would only come on if the locker lines are bled down by cycling the locker switches.

If you have a second air compressor (possibly an "Extreme Air" unit) that is connected to a tank, there should be another toggle switch (usually unmarked) somewhere. Mine was on the drivers side panel down my my knee. Engaging this switch would turn on the compressor and charge the holding tank.

Hope this helps.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #5

From what I can tell there is only one compressor. There is a hose from the compressor to a Tee. From the tee, one end goes to the front of the van for a air hose connection for airing up tires or tools, the other end goes to a 4 gallon tank. Off the tank is two contacters that control the valves to the ARB lockers.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

With your air system is it set up to air up tires? I have seen SMB use the on board air used for the lockers. If you are saying the whole air system is down it might be the breaker which is usually located near the batteries. It's got a red button and a lever and looks something like this:

What kind of valves are on the system?
Attached Images

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #7

Thankyou everyone for the help. It ended up being a pressure switch on the air tank being stuck in the open position.