Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #1

Garage
Canadian Maps and GPS cards

I am not affiliated with them but I thought that I would post up this info after reading the "DeLorme Gazeteer sale again" http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...p?f=16&t=15350 thread.

For those of you that venture up to Canada, I highly recommend "Backroad Mapbooks" http://backroadmapbooks.com/main/index.html. Their products are top notch.

The Search & Rescue group I am with uses BC Backroad GPS Maps in all our Garmin Oregon handhelds. The maps are updated yearly. The only bad part about the GPS maps is they only work with Garmin devices. To that for those that have Kenwood Navigation decks I am afraid to say that you are SOL. The maps will only work on handheld or standalone devices. I have an older Garmin 1490 that the maps work beautifully on.

Backroad Mapbooks offer several products. In addition to GPS Maps they have other map types. For those that like their ipod/ipads there are Digital Maps that are Geo Referenced PDF's. There are also can be used with Ozi, Google Earth and others. They have Fishing and Recreation mapbooks. Their TOPO map section offers all sorts of TOPO formats. If you are heading north and want some great maps, have a look. Also if you get lost up in the Okanagan, it might be me that comes and finds you.
Safe Travels Everyone!
Cheers
Darryl

4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:06 PM   #2

Re: Canadian Maps and GPS cards

I've still got some ancient mapbooks from them, pre digital era. Nice coverage.

I'm sort of confused; are the digital DVDs just the mapbooks in digital form? like PDF? I couldn't quite figure it out. They seem to be all 1:50k maps. And on the DVD page they say that the maps are available individually, but I couldn't find that either. I saw like all BC for $49, which isn't bad (with our exchange rate ) but I really only would need a smaller subset.

BTW, the Ultimate Canadian Public Campground Mac OS application and iOS apps are out. Well worth having.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #3

Garage

The Digital Edition DVD's provide all geo-referenced file formats and extras like the Backroad Mapbook written reference sections, index and map key. They also provide a manual to help you use the product. The various Backroad Digital Edition DVDs provides the whole region or province with all of the digital formats.

The maps can also be bought individually through the TOPO Map page on their Online Store. Each file extension is sold separately ($4.95 each) allowing for a low cost digital map. Start looking here: http://www.backroadmapbooks.org/inde...dex&cPath=0_71.

I hope this helps.
Cheers
Darryl
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Does anyone know if their GPS maps will load in GaiaGPS?

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:13 AM   #5

It's really tough figuring out what they offer in their, ahem, hard to navigate website, but this seems to list the options:

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/main/Digitalmaps.html

So you'd have to use Avenza's app to view PDFs, which is rather limiting. Gaia GPS still doesn't do KMZ AFAIK, although I think you can use GaiaCloud to convert KML. But I think that will only do waypoints, not maps. So I doubt you can get these into Gaia GPS.

Further, apparently some or all of the maps are vector based and routable (the Garmin ones), while the ones listed above are raster/PDF.