Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2015, 06:59 AM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Portable icemakers

Anybody out there using one of these?
Icemaker

I know they require some high amperage to run and suck up a lot of water but my weak point has always been having ice in the backcountry. Driving 30 miles for a lousy bag of ice just gripes me. It takes up time and fuel.
What I'm after is just enough ice for beverages for two people at night with maybe a little more left over.
I have room to store about 4 pounds of ice in my freezer so no issue of making it during the day and storing it for late night drinks. I'd just like it to work while on the road or over a bouncy trail. I have enough solar to off set the power that they use but that depends on the quality of the sun and/or where I'm parked. Generators and shore power are N/A. Power isn't my main concern rather how much water I'd have to pack. I can handle about 1.5 Qt's per night of water usage.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:30 AM   #2

Re: Portable icemakers

That's pretty cool Dave. I doubt you'll find many, if any, who have tried it in our circumstances. Get one and let us know! The good thing is Walmart will take it back if it doesn't work for you.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #3

OK Mr. "It's going to Bake in Turlock This Summer" Dave you have touched upon a subject my wife and I are very interested in, so please post your research conclusions. My conclusion after searching for reviews on this type of equipment was that 1. it makes ice but does not have a freezer to keep the ice frozen (so not appropriate for permanent installation in our home) and 2. the reliability was not that great on any of them.

We look forward to your investigatory results...
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:22 AM   #4

A reviewer on amazon posted this...

"...FYI I did call about it and this unit it is 490 watts for those using solar and inverters, Although it says it s 2.7 amps so if you so the calculator. It comes out smaller watts. I am going to run a watt meter on it when I get home."
Old 04-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Better yet, get yourself an Engel or ARB 12V fridge/freezer and bring along a bag of ice, low draw and you can pack in some frozen foods for the long journey, or do what I did and bring back a freezer full of fresh caught salmon from Alaska[emoji2]
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Better yet, get yourself an Engel or ARB 12V fridge/freezer and bring along a bag of ice, low draw and you can pack in some frozen foods for the long journey, or do what I did and bring back a freezer full of fresh caught salmon from Alaska[emoji2]
I just got to ask a couple of questions REF, if you set the fridge/freezer to hold nothing but ice what is the draw over the evening hours inside a van that stays say 70 degrees all night long? I talked with one owner who claimed the draw was significant and put them into the red zone fairly quickly. They had an ARB. Like my fridge on board, it cycles more when the heater is on. Secondly if I were to fill up like three 10x6x3 Tupperware containers with lids, how long would that take to make solid blocks of ice in mild weather? Ice trays are out as the water would be all over the place as I drive.

I've also considered a small portable freezer with soapstone or stainless steel reusable ice cubes which could be a great solution over water. Sure I would have to wash them and re freeze them but washing would take minimal amounts of water and all I'd have to worry about is the amperage the second unit pulls. I do like the idea of having a backup fridge/freezer on board. I just would hate to buy one only to find out it pulls too much. A 1000+ bucks is an investment that I'd rather have first hand information from people who already have been there and done that. If that works I would be more than happy to pull the roadie out, fork out the bucks, and make room for a second fridge/freezer.

From what I've read, most of those ice makers seem to look like they're made at the same place but get different reviews
There are a few different sized models. I'm looking at the smallest version. From a few reviews, owners claim they pull at full amps during the first batch then taper off. I think the one guy who posted said something like 9A at start up, then dropped to 4 amps as it continued to produce. That was the largest version IIRC (which is info I can't claim is correct). Seems a lot of standard RVers use them but they are the folks with generators and shore power.
Currently I'm using a Yeti Roadie with a 7lb bag of ice along with a block of dry ice and although that works fine for over a week, I still end up running out of ice.

I just like the idea of having extra ice to throw on top of the beer in my larger Yeti but worry about the hauling of extra water and if these units will work while bouncing down a trail. The water usage might make it a deal breaker alone but I might give one of these ice makers a shot and if it doesn't work out in the SMB, I can use it at home.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:34 AM   #7

A saying comes to mind, KISS. I too have dreamed while on the hook on our previous boats or in the van of icecubes for the sundowners. I have told the wife more than once that I have wanted fresh ice because of the bags we have to carry. Much better in the long run, invest in one of the best coolers, fill it with ice and it should last for long vacation. Nothing to breakdown there, nothing to refill, etc. The little ice makers do make ice but have no way to keep them frozen so you'd have to pull them once made. Seems like a lot of work. Just my 2 cents.
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #8

I have one in my kitchen, love it! But it makes "soft" ice, meaning it melts pretty fast.
DougsE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #9

Our Yeti cooler held ice for 12 days in the Grand Canyon, with temps over 130F some days and lows rarely dipping below 80. A damp towel on the lid helps a lot.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

I'll probably go with a freezer like a Engel 35 or up to a 45 depending on the room I have although National Luna 40L would be killer to own. They all uses almost the same power and are reasonable in size and cost less.

My Yeti's are fine but when you go through 5 cases of beer within a week, the ice in those Yeti's just doesn't last being I'm constantly putting warm beers back in daily. Sure they keep cold things cold with minimal ice but that's not how things operate on my ship. The beers are always at room temp during storage. Add to the fact I like a mixed drink with ice from time to time, I don't like swimming cans with the drink ice. 1der found some covered ice trays I've found a few other containers I could use.
At least the spare freezer has other good points. On short trips I can raise the temps and keep the drinks in the portable and if I loose the Norcold, I'd have a backup. Who knows I might be able to ditch the ice chests for good but more than likely I'll have to keep a small one around.

Before I try anything I plan to try using those frozen rock ice cubes. That might be the best/cheapest solutions to the whole issue.