Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
evy

Stabilizer jacks?

Hi everybody

Sorry I had no idea where to post this, I hope I'm in the right place.

Working on my DIY conversion build (extended 2010 Ford E250) and I'm new to all this, never built or owned one.

The van wobbles a lot when working on it, so I'm wondering is this the right way to stabilize the van?

Bolting a pair of these to the frame in the back would be very inexpensive and easy to do, and they seem much faster to setup compared the those regular endless screw type jacks

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack...d/AT82298.html

Ok this is a awkward question but I'm single right now and working on this time consuming project but when I'm done (one day) and I meet a nice women lol.
Is this type of jack also a good option to keep the boat from rocking too much? loll I won't go into details, hope you understand :-/

Sorry if this last part sounds weird...

Old 05-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #2

Garage
Re: Stabilizer jacks?

a buddy of mine recently put a real axle w/leafs and full sized tires under his poptop and bought 4 of those to stabilize the trailer when camped. ive watched him set it up and they work pretty slick. i was wondering if i could get away with bolting a set of these onto our van for the same reason. just have bigger fish to fry atm, so hadnt looked into it much farther than asking my buddy how hard they were to install. my initial thought was to install 4 of those on the inside of some nerf bars so they would be closer to the ground (bolting to frame they would be too short) and in hopes that the nerf bar would hide them from plain view. thinking about it is all ive done so far though
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:12 AM   #3

I'm guessing that while you're working on the build you're moving side to side quite a bit which could rock it a bit. But once finished you won't be able to move side to side as much with cabinets and/or couches in the way. I'd wait until everything is finished and you get to use it a bit before adding the jacks. Like you said "easy to bolt on" later on.

For the other "problem" think front to back instead of side to side. It's all about positioning.
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:11 AM   #4

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

If you are having that problem when stationary, I would think it isn't going to handle very well when driven. Proper shocks should eliminate the issue.

I have those same stabilizer on the back only of my 24 foot enclosed trailer. I set both and then use the tongue jack so that it sits on a "three legged stool". I don't think I would want them permanently attached to my van. They would rattle and are really not very heavy duty.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote