Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2015, 10:59 PM   #1

Safe Jack compact jack stands

Did a quick search and found this thread about jacks:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7052&hilit=safe+jack

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Safe Jack "compact jack stands" - they're basically sectional stacking posts supposedly good for 5 tons. Looks like an interesting fix option (though expensive) to the storage space dilemma in these vans for jack and stand(s):

http://safejacks.com/collections/

They exhibited at Overland Expo in May... anyone there see the demo - and what were your thoughts?

I rather like the idea / concept, but would like a little more confidence / experience from folks here before dumping that cash and depending on it when I need it.

2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:04 AM   #2

Re: Safe Jack compact jack stands

After recently blowing a tire at speed, I obviously had to change it. I used a small bottle jack (with plenty of weight rating) and wasn't really happy with the experience. Since I had pulled as far as I could off the I5, into the dirt, I tossed a board I had with for other reasons under the jack. As I was putting the spare on, the jack broke through the board (yikes!!). It all ended well and nothing moved any further before I got the lug nuts on, but it was still a scary moment that rivaled blowing the tire. I ended up picking up the jack-stand/jack combo pictured in the thread you mentioned. Yes, it's big-ish, but it's relatively cheap and addresses a major safety issue.

On trails I've also carried a high-lift, and I've dealt with one on other cars, but to me, it's mostly a tool to get something else under the axle.

The safejack stuff looks like it's heading in the right direction. I'm just not sure that the price point is necessary with stuff like that jack-stand/bottle-jack combo being available.

FWIW, the final thing I really want is a nice long piece of pipe to act as a jack handle and jack pressure relief valve turner, so that I can be well clear of the heavy stuff when I jack or drop it.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #3

Thanks. There were a lot of complaints in reviews about those leaking badly (poor construction).

And they just seem rather large. I have a lot of camera stuff I lock up in the floor box - not sure where I would put that thing (won't fit in a bumper, will it?).
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #4

The amazon reviews do suggest that some folks have run into leaks. Mine seems fine so far.

Yes, it's huge, though not quite as big as the pictures made it look. I'm hoping to find a spot on the frame rails to bolt it to, hopefully I'll never need it, it certainly shouldn't be a frequent thing. I'm fine with it under the van since for situations where that doesn't work the high-lift is the right tool.

For the moment it lives in my generator box (that was built to house an RV generator) that currently holds tools and other messy things.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBadger
Thanks. There were a lot of complaints in reviews about those leaking badly (poor construction).

And they just seem rather large. I have a lot of camera stuff I lock up in the floor box - not sure where I would put that thing (won't fit in a bumper, will it?).
I just used mine last week as I had a blowout. Worked perfectly, been sitting in the van for 5+ years. Size wise, It's smaller/about the same that the Safe Jack bottle jack recovery kit & bottle jack, plus it's a lot safer and less than 1/4 of the price.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #6

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

This is my preferred jack for the SMB. I've used this setup to lift over 8,000 lbs with good success.

I thought that using my Impact Gun to speed up the process would be a good idea but found it did not work once there was a load on it as it just "bounced" and didn't turn the worm drive. So using the hand crank was necessary, but it worked very well.

Though I have a couple of Hi-Lift jacks, I really don't like to use them - not very safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
I recently purchased a couple of HUMMER H1 HUMVEE M998 HMMWV SCISSORS JACK rated at 3.5 Tons and they lift to over 20 inches. I also made an extension that goes on top for additional reach. I'm thinking these might just be the best solution for my SMB and am looking forward to testing them out.

I welded nuts on them so that I can operate them with my Cordless Impact Gun - very fast!

I'll try to get some pictures of them in action.

This is what they look like.

http://store.adv4x4.com/5939822l.html

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #7

That looks like a great jack. Good solution. How much does it weigh?

Quote:
This is my preferred jack for the SMB. I've used this setup to lift over 8,000 lbs with good success.

I thought that using my Impact Gun to speed up the process would be a good idea but found it did not work once there was a load on it as it just "bounced" and didn't turn the worm drive. So using the hand crank was necessary, but it worked very well.

Though I have a couple of Hi-Lift jacks, I really don't like to use them - not very safe.

Quote:
I recently purchased a couple of HUMMER H1 HUMVEE M998 HMMWV SCISSORS JACK rated at 3.5 Tons and they lift to over 20 inches. I also made an extension that goes on top for additional reach. I'm thinking these might just be the best solution for my SMB and am looking forward to testing them out.

I welded nuts on them so that I can operate them with my Cordless Impact Gun - very fast!

I'll try to get some pictures of them in action.

This is what they look like.

http://store.adv4x4.com/5939822l.html
edroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #8

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by edroid
That looks like a great jack. Good solution. How much does it weigh?
Not much at all - 15lbs?

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #9

I've used some scissor jacks as well.

The only thing I don't like is that they are easy to use within a range that's less than their full extension (remember your high school physics). But a couple blocks and you're good to go. They do fit under axles that are much closer to the ground, when you can't get a bottle jack underneath.

I think the Hummer ones actually have gearing that makes them more usable under a wider range than just the regular screw ones, right?
Old 08-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #10
Site Team

Ramsey, did you also make some sort of saddle for the top of the jack? It looks like there is just some sort of lifting point on the jack that is made to go in some hole in the frame of the HMMWV.

Herb