Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #1

Installing driver-side SMB swivel seat base

I would appreciate receiving photos and tips for dealing with the restraint control module when installing the driver-side SMB swivel seat base. SMB did not provide any installation information and SMB did not reply to my email requesting install information.

Fordx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:29 AM   #2

Re: Installing driver-side SMB swivel seat base

Helpful if you provide model year of your van.

Are asking about the box mounted to the floor or the wiring from the box to the seat?
Old 08-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #3

2012 Ford E250. The RCM box has to move from the original location on the floor to the seat base. The seat base does not have a pre-drilled mounting location for the RCM. While relocating the RCM would be straightforward, I would like to hear from others about install methods used and other considerations when working with this critical system component. The ideal situation would be a slight change to the seat base design that would allow the RCM to remain in the original location.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:34 AM   #4

I had this idea that perhaps that wouldn't work (because I thought that's why driver's side swivel seats seemed to fall out of favor in later years?). I had one in my '97 SMB but that era has no RCM under the driver's seat. On a friend's 2003 Ford cutaway, it's the same, with no RCM under the driver's seat (so I guess it must have come in soon after that, but then too sometimes cutaways are different than vans).

So anyway, don't know the year of your van, but maybe you don't have an RCM to contend with?
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #5

2012 E250 has an RCM. The swivel base was probably designed for earlier years and not modified to accommodate the addition of the RCM.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:08 AM   #6

The driver side swivel base is raised up to create a cavity below the swivel drum. I'll see if I can get some measurements/pics tomorrow. I do not have any box under our 2002 7.3 driver seat, but the base is definitely designed to accommodate something.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:13 AM   #7

On the swivel base page in the SMB store, there is a review comment that states the RCM has to be moved. This misleading review is the reason I posted my original question. I called SMB North and Chad assured me the RCM does not have to move. I installed both seat bases this morning without an issue with the RCM.