Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #1

Garage
Impact Wrench Recommendation Needed

I have no experience with air tools, but I am thinking about getting an impact wrench for removing and replacing lug nuts. Could someone tell me what specifications I should look for in a wrench and if you have a favorite model or brand. I have an on-board Viair 450 compressor with a 2.5 gallon tank that pressurizes to 150 psi. John at Quadvan mentioned that I might need to get a regulator to bring the pressure down to around 90 psi for air tools. Is that true?

Steve in L.A.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Impact Wrench Recommendation Needed

yes on the reg for the air. for the tools look at the husky stuff. cheaper then snap on and has a lifetime warranty

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #3

Steve,
If you don't have air I have a Makita 18volt Impact (450 ft. lbs.) that I love. Removes lugs very fast. It's in the sporty all the time. If you put air on the van anyway the airtool is less expensive.

Paul
Old 12-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbonesclimber
Steve,
If you don't have air I have a Makita 18volt Impact (450 ft. lbs.) that I love. Removes lugs very fast. It's in the sporty all the time. If you put air on the van anyway the airtool is less expensive.

Paul
That sounds like a much better idea Paul. Air tools need a lot of CFM, or a lot of time between use to fill the air tank back up. Down side, an inverter is needed to use the charger. Works for me.

Herb
Old 12-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #5

You will run out of air real fast so I'd skip the regulator. My home compressor is set at 150 and I run everthing off of it. I just need to be carfull and my Impact has 3 torque settings so I use 2 on lugs. With your setup, breaking the lugs loose by hand and tourqing them by hand will conserve your air enough to be able to spin the lugs off and on. A second tank will be your freind.

Edit: As for wrenches...The better ones like snap-on and craftsman seem to have more power and use less air than the cheap china brands. Pawn shops are full of the good ones. I bought a Blue Point 3/8 ratchet for 25 and a craftsman 1/2 impact for 35 that looked new. I really like the Craftsman one I have but after using Harbor freight type guns anything of quality is well noticed.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #6

Even though the Van was designed for Air Tools I have resorted to the 18 Volt De Walt Impact Wrench .I was fortunate to be able to try the Sears , Makita , Milwaukee , Bosch and Snap On
before settling on the De Walt . Solo Motor Sports has all of the above and their favorite for battery life was the DeWalt , for size the Snap On . I personally noticed little or no difference in any of them other than dimensions but then again I don't make my living as a mechanic .
It has served me very well so far . An interesting side note , the majority of the Score Pits are now using the Battery powered Wrench's and misc. tools .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #7

Greggde: What model Dewalt 18V?
dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #8

dowgars ,
This is the DeWalt brand in the Impact version available from many different sources . My
model # is DC821KA 18Volt 1/2" Drive Impact Wrench . This is the kit that includes the following Carrying Case , Driver , 2 each 18 Volt Batteries and 110 Volt Charger . I purchased mine from Amazon .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #9

Thanks
dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Hey Dowgars, the nice thing about DeWalt is they also have a little car wet/dry vac that is really handy. Now if they would ever come out with a chain saw

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote