Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #1

Jimmi' Jammers?

I did a search through both the forum's wacky search function and on Google for this, but nothing came up. If this has come up before, I ask you to beat me senseless but at least point me to the link while you do so. (Beating me senseless will likely be pointless, since I'm usually in that state already, but it might make you feel better.)

Anyway, has anyone any experience with Jimmi' Jammers? They are plates that install behind the stock door locks to deter prying the locks out. What do you think?

I'm about to install a fancy-pants HU in the van, and I'd like to enjoy it for a little while. Thinking that Jimmi' Jammers will at least keep the amateur low-lifes out.

Jimmi' Jammer clicky:
http://www.jimmijammer.com/Product,%20JJ.htm

Old 03-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #2

Re: Jimmi' Jammers?

I like this approach. it says "you're not getting this door open" http://overlandhardware.com/protect.html
Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #3

Garage

sadly, if a thief wants in, they will get in one way or another.

i just keep everything that looks like it might turn an easy buck for a thief hidden.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Think it really depends on where you park the vehicle and what is more expensive a window or lock. A crankster will probably just blow out your window. At least that is how they do it in my town even with the alarm going off. Now if that device kept the door from being opened at all (I didn't read it too closely) it would be worth it if it forced the jerk to have to climb through the window.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasrandall
I like this approach. it says "you're not getting this door open" http://overlandhardware.com/protect.html
I don't have much faith in padlocks after seeing that there are thousands of YouTube videos showing how to pick them in seconds.

I know any car is not impenetrable. But popping the lock is ridiculously easy, and worst of all, quiet. Popping a lock just looks like they're fiddling with keys.

Short of installing polycarbonate windows, there's not much to be done about breaking glass. Smashing a window in a parking lot is noisy and makes a criminal look like a criminal. A thief crawling through a window looks suspicious, too.

I think I might try them. They look pretty easy to install.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #6

Assuming those puck locks will lift upwards enough to get the key in... if you turn them so the keyhole faces in, the "picker" is gonna have a waaaaay harder time pickin' it, I would guess.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #7

Garage

Oh, I thought you wanted to play some Hendrix songs with me on guitar.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographix
popping the lock is ridiculously easy, and worst of all, quiet. Popping a lock just looks like they're fiddling with keys.
Maybe our criminals are stupid around here but I have yet to have a lock compromised. I've had 6 breakins over the 7 years at my house... 4 in my pickup, 2 in my work truck and fortunately only once in the van but it was once stripped and trashed at the Ford dealership a few years back All were side window breakins with the alarm going off. I now have a 6' iron fence around my house. Nothing has happened around town thankfully.

If you think they'll give up after they attempt to destroy the lock (provided they can) and then leave W/O busting out the window it might be worth it. Couple that with a flashing alarm light and they may move off to easier vehicles.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #9

Help out an old fart who can't keep up with all the new technology or jargon.

WTF's a "fancy-pants HU" ?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #10

I can think of a half-dozen ways I could get into your van quicker than prying the lock. With my tools I could be in there in under 10 seconds with or without Jimmy Jammer. Even the most "secure" cars (like M-series BMWs) only add about a minute to the process. And that is just using proper tools which don't cause damage. Fastest way in any car is a rock.

Ford does thief-resistant lock setup for newer vans for the side and rear doors, but it only helps if you have a cage between the front and back and no windows.