Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #1

Look what just drove up in my driveway, it's Rusty!

Meet Rusty everyone!

I'm now an actual, bonafide SMB owner! I just brought this forgotten fella home from Pittsburgh today. Yes, some close watchers might have assumed, but it was me who bought this one posted in the classifieds a couple weeks ago. I didn't want to speak before the deal was completely done.

I now own an RB10 with 21,700 original miles. It was basically left for dead by the first owner on Long Island at his beach house, and it looks like it too, especially underneath. The body is in great shape actually, just in need of a good buff and polish. The frame is covered with surface rust, but at only 21K it's really a mixed bag under there. Things like the block/tranny/main fuel tank look brand new, and thinner things like SMB bracketry, propane tanks, shocks and springs look pretty bad, but it drives GREAT! I drove it 500 miles home yesterday and today and spent the first night in it last night. Actually, all 4 of us did. It has a huge stack of receipts and paperwork for a vehicle with only 21K, I'm pretty sure I have every record down to the zip tie and every manual for every appliance. Very complete and kept up with for a vehicle which was neglected like it was, kind of weird.
I have lots of questions (about actual SMBs since I'm a homebrewer primarily), so bear with me as I learn about this toy.
It's a 95 with a 460/e40D. It's DAMN strong, since it's basically not even broken in yet. I averaged 12MPG through mountains over 1.5 tanks home, which I'm sure is what I can expect to get out of it forever. I'm just glad it wasn't less. Coming from a 5.4 it's really nice to have some torque, and only about 2 mpg less.
It is a SMB West conversion, bought at a dealer in Clovis, has Alan Feld's name on the original build sheet which I have. Neat stuff.
It has some interesting tidbits like dual fuel tanks, aftermarket rear AC (which works awesome as does the front air), NO fridge for some reason, a very noisy and very useless 'roof rack' (see pic) which I will be removing tomorrow. It's WAY loud at freeway speed with those useless chrome hoops on the front of the PH. I originally thought it had Starcool but was wrong, just aftermarket rear air conditioning. It has dual batteries under the couch and not on the frame. 4WD system works fine. I feel pretty sure this thing would pull my house off it's foundation in 4 low with the 460. It has 4 popout windows which is nice. The rears had screws through them from the factory and had apparently never been opened before last night.
Oh, did I mention rust? The spare rack on the rear is about to rust off, the aux tank is hanging by a thread since the strapping holding it on was too thin before rust ate it, and I have a raingutter which looks really good except for about 2 feet, which is so bad I will have to take it to a body shop to reshape. I think it must have sat under a gutterspout or something there. Also, the propane door is missing. I will post more pics soon.

Sorry to be so long winded but I'm pretty excited about this little project. I still have Tryptovan (and 3 other vehicles she keeps reminding me of) and I'm not sure which I will eventually sell. The plan for now is to experiment with camping in this one over the winter while I fix it up a little, starting with the purchase of a sandblaster, and we will decide which van to keep next Spring. Offers on either of my vans are welcome but I'm probably not going to change this plan unless an offer is pretty good.

I will post more pics later. It's too dirty inside to show anyone right now.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #2

Re: Look what just drove up in my driveway, it's Rusty!

First, congratulations!

Now, what do you do with Big Blue, and by big I mean the top?

Hope to see you and your new rig on the road someday.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Good for you, looks like a great deal. Is your other van a 4x4?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #4

What happened did you run out of things to change on Tryptovan? Your wife must be a very understanding person. I think it's time to buy a couple of motorcycles.

We NEED more

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #5

Looks great! Congratulations.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #6

Congrats! Looks really clean up top! Good luck with the smaller things underneath. For the price it was listed at, it's sure worth some work. Nice color, too.

For the missing propane door on the driver's side, you can get them from the Sportsmobile Store. See them listed here: http://www.sportsmobilestore.com/parts/ ... red&page=4
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #7

This is gonna be fun!
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Good for you, looks like a great deal. Is your other van a 4x4?
Thanks. No, unfortunately it is not. I have the perfect van, just in two pieces. I wish I could meld them together somehow, but too many differences since the years are too far apart.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
What happened did you run out of things to change on Tryptovan? Your wife must be a very understanding person. I think it's time to buy a couple of motorcycles.

We NEED more
You guessed it! Yes, she is. Motorcycles. I've had about 10. I can't really enjoy them with the kids, and I have a tendency to ride them fast, which as you know doesn't go well with the job.

I'll probably get one again after they are grown.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #10

Thanks all, now the question is, Can we fit 4 and our gear in an RB? You know, if Mama ain't happy......................