Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2014, 03:11 AM   #1

Shipping my van to the UK looking for some advice on parts

Hi I'm new to this site so hope I have posted this in the right place and have not repeated a common topic.

I'm moving to the UK in a few months and have decided to take my 1999 Ford E250 5.4 (90000 miles) with me. The question or questions I have is what would people in the know (you guys) recommend when it comes to parts to replace, upgrade and stock up on before I go. I'm think of brake pads, fuel filters, extra bulbs maybe thing of that nature.

But I'm also thinking about after market items that might last longer or improve my van like the reusable K & N air filter. Or maybe a stainless steal exhaust if they make them for my Van.

I would also like any advice people might have on products that would improve performance and gas millage as prices are higher over there. I know there's lots of aftermarket options when it comes to playing with the computer but I have no idea where to start or if I should even bother. I'm still trying to work out emissions laws over there.

My last question is if anyone could recommend a good inexpensive scan tool to help my problem shoot any codes I might get

I guess I'm asking for a crash course in what to do and what not to do with my van before we ship out. Any advice on how to keep my Van on the road or off road in a foreign land would be a great help

Thanks for your help

Matt

mattp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:22 AM   #2

Re: Shipping my van to the UK looking for some advice on par

I would strongly recommend a Scanguage II. It will check and clear codes and give you lots of real time info your stock instruments won't, like exact (digital) engine temp, trans temp, lots of fuel mileage options, etc. etc.

http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Automot ... canguage+2

Seems like I paid less, but worth it either way.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry so much about parts. Mail order can get you anything you want these days pretty easily. If you think it might save you a few $, grab a fuel pump, alternator, and water pump too. Not much goes wrong with Ford vans though, and any mechanic over there should be able to help you with whatever you can't handle. They're pretty basic vehicles.
If it hasn't been done, I would invest in a decent tune up before you go. Change your fluids, radiator hoses, etc and don't worry about it. Most of these are about due anyway if they haven't been done.

Good luck on your move.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #3

I can understand wanting to take your SMB, but unless there is something really special about it (4x4 or whatever), I'd strongly consider selling it here in the USA and putting that money into a Euro-spec camper on a platform like a Sprinter or Transit. As you may know, campers are similar but not the same over there, from propane/LPG fill adapters to especially the electrical system (your SMB 110v system won't be able to be used without significant adaptation). Euro campers are mostly diesels, too, which is generally cheaper than gas/petrol, or at least on par cost wise (compared with being more expensive in the US).

England has a robust market for used RH drive campervans, or if you want a LH drive one for ease of use on the continent you could look in Holland or Germany (both a cheap Ryanair flight away from England).

That being said, Ford dealers are common throughout Europe, and I imagine would be able to order you what you need even though the E-vans aren't really sold over there (the Transit is king).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #4

I agree with BrianW. Also in europe different laws about smog and they may have different rules about stuff you can use in your rv. Check before.
Foxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:30 AM   #5

I would not recommend a K&N, unless you are willing to carry a can of Mass AirFlow Sensor cleaner. The filter will foul the MAF sensor, which can cause it to run so lean it can't compensate and you'll get bad pinging. The stock filter flows fine for the V8s. Its the same filter used on the V10. A K&N will not improve mileage on a newer fuel-injected motor.

The only part I would recommend carrying is a fender-mount starter relay. It's the only part that fails regularly (usually around 150-200,000 mile), and probably would not be stocked in the UK. But you could always just substitute a generic high-amp relay. Everything else power-train related will be common with F150s and Mustangs, which are sold at some dealers over there, so I don't other parts will be hard to find. Plus, there's always RockAuto.com who is super fast and has the best prices.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #6

Thanks for all the advise much appreciated. I know its a bit crazy to take it. But I've had it a long time and have it setup inside just the way I want, plus its going to make shipping all my other stuff easier and cheaper by transporting it inside.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
Thanks for all the advise much appreciated. I know its a bit crazy to take it. But I've had it a long time and have it setup inside just the way I want, plus its going to make shipping all my other stuff easier and cheaper by transporting it inside.
I agree that shipping one over can make sense. Campers over there are much more expensive. I've thought about taking mine over to Germany for a summer, however because its so wide it would be a commercial vehicle over there.

Are you shipping it in a container? If yes, you will be ok. If you are using a Roll-On, Roll-off service, you cannot have ANYTHING extra in the van other than the jack and handle.

Are you shipping under a commercial invoice (means you pay import duties and VAT)? Or are you shipping under a Carnet, which limits you to one year before it has to return to its port of origin?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #8

I'm shipping it in a container as it fits. I'm doing a commercial invoice, because I'm repatriation to the UK and can prove I have owned it for more then 6 months before the shipping date and will own the van for more than a year after moving I should avoid duties and VAT. If I have this right and I am still looking in to it, all I have to pay on its arrival is a brokerage fees to the bonded warehouse I have it sent to and there's no way of knowing that cost until it arrives but it looks like it will be between $500 and $1000.

I'm also trying to work out the UK road tax situation. Cars with large engine are heavily taxed but it looks like vans have a bit of a loop hole because they are listed as a commercial vehicles you pay a flat fee instead. But don't quote me yet I'm still working it out.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #9

Have you checked to make sure you don't have to make any lighting or bumper modifications to fit local rules? I know Germany is pretty strict on that, not sure about England.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #10

Good question I know I will have to get me lights realigned which I believe is easy to do and is part of the UK M.O.T test all vehicle have to do every year and I will have to do before its street legal. I'm not sure about the bumper modifications. I'm going to look in to that thanks for the advice. So much to check on