Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #1

Ford E350 EB50 back compartment

Hello Hello,

Trying to get a better idea of the rear portion of the van in a EB50 layout. I will be doing the Ford 4x4. Can anyone weight in on the storage back there, how it works for you, have you done anything custom to it?

On the SMB site, it says something about the bed portion being to fold up and lock upright for better storage, but I am not sure that it does???? I think it is removable though right?

Has anyone ever thought about or already done an aftermarket hinge on it so it is a kind of lift lid system and can be locked in the "hinged up" position to get better storage options out of the back?

Just trying to plan it ALL out ya know. Especially before we drop $100k+ on something...

purana182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #2

Re: Ford E350 EB50 back compartment

There is tons of room, but it's not the easiest to access, as it's deep and below the rear portion of the bed.

Since we never sleep downstairs I've considered removing the rear piece of lower bed and just leaving the couch. I'm also thinking about some heavyweight drawer slides to access the space better. I'm also thinking about going completely crazy and spinning the couch sideways and making a walk through design, but we do occasionally have passengers, and side seating isn't the best for them.

I haven't figured out what I am going to do long term, but something needs to be improved.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #3

Garage

My solution to creating some more usable space below the bed.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7614&hilit=+Bed
Old 09-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #4

Garage

We had our rear seat and the rear bed platform installed quite a bit higher, and the rear platform only has 2" foam. So ours is quite useful.

On the EB chassis, another option is to move the couch forward and create a huge storage area in back.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #5

We have a RB50 layout. I had SMB cut the back of the couch bed cushion into 3 pieces. On the right (passenger) side the cushion is cut longitudinal with the van about 14 inches wide. The furnace is under this area. The remaining cushion is cut horizontal at 1/2 the distance between the back of the couch and the rear doors (approx 14"). The platform under these pieces was also cut to match the cushions. With this setup we can mix and match to fit the cargo for a given trip. I also made a platform with folding legs the top of which matches the right hand cushion. For sleeping downstairs this platform with the right side cushion on top can be placed in front of the folded down couch. When sleeping our feet are on this "extension". The far back cushion and underlying platform can then be left at home and the space used for cargo.

This setup has provided us with a lot of flexibility. I believe SMB West charged us $75 to build the back cushion in 3 pieces instead of one.
johnolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnolden
We have a RB50 layout. I had SMB cut the back of the couch bed cushion into 3 pieces. On the right (passenger) side the cushion is cut longitudinal with the van about 14 inches wide. The furnace is under this area. The remaining cushion is cut horizontal at 1/2 the distance between the back of the couch and the rear doors (approx 14"). The platform under these pieces was also cut to match the cushions. With this setup we can mix and match to fit the cargo for a given trip. I also made a platform with folding legs the top of which matches the right hand cushion. For sleeping downstairs this platform with the right side cushion on top can be placed in front of the folded down couch. When sleeping our feet are on this "extension". The far back cushion and underlying platform can then be left at home and the space used for cargo.

This setup has provided us with a lot of flexibility. I believe SMB West charged us $75 to build the back cushion in 3 pieces instead of one.
I'm not sure I follow.. Can you post some pics?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #7

I have an EB50. There is storage for long stuff (I put folding chairs there) on the left side under the cabinet.

Under the rear bed cushion there is good storage, I keep my shower stuff (shower tent thing, floor), water and power lines, etc. The main problem is that if you put too much crap in there, you can't open the under floor XL storage. (where I keep most of my mechanical stuff)

The RH side is taken up with the water heater etc.

Yes I travel with the seat folded up and I keep my table, gas grille, sleeping bag, other stuff behind it. One idea might be a cargo net that goes from the top of the seat up to the roof.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #8

Thanks for all of the insight guys. Seems like it is something that everyone deals with.

I am trying to figure out where I am going to stack stuff up. Seems like that back portion of the EB50 is the way to go but I don't really want to stack heavy and potentially dirty things like a BBQ on top of the bed. Or does anyone I guess just move the cushions and stack on there? Weight limit worries?

Pictures would be Fantastic for anyone that has Anything? I am one of those slightly slow folks who can't visualize anything. sorry.

Also, anyone in the San Diego area with a 4x4 EB50, or even just an EB50 that wouldn't mind showing it off?
purana182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

That's what a bumper box is for. Have you thought of having a bag made for the dirty cooking things that you can hang outside?
I had a heavy duty bag made in town that holds a number of items plus it has D rings all over it to attach other river type bags for garbage if need be. The bag is made out of trucking tarp type material and has adjustable seat belt straps that won't rot from sun exposure. I can put a square plastic container in if need be and the bottom is a mesh material so water won't pool. I have two 5 gallon buckets in it now to haul out garbage and have room above for some extra stuff. I think I paid a little more than 250.00 for it. Myself I don't want to carry a smelly BBQ inside ever. If I'm in bear country I can tree hang the bag if necessary so they don't spread garbage everywhere.
Just a thought.

Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1293PH.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #10

A lot depends on if you plan to make the couch into a bed each night. We don't so the stuff we store behind the couch in our EB-50 stays there.

We also have a hot water tank which is inside a cabinet which runs along the passenger side of the van behind the couch and which takes up quite a bit of room. The front portion of that cabinet is open and that is where we store things that we don't think/hope to ever need like spare gas filter and serpentine belt, some recover stuff like accessories for the Hi-Lift jack (Base Plate and Lift Mate), tire removal tools, etc.) On top of that cabinet is a plastic bin which holds extra shoes. The rest of the space on top of the back compartment is dedicated to a lounge chair, and four duffel bags of different sizes which hold bedding, pillows, cold weather gear, and clothes for the trip. A couple Eagle Creek organizers hold socks and underwear for each of us. They are kept in another plastic milk box so they never get misplaced.

The storage compartment on the driver's side is dedicated to a tool bag, bottle jack, and other tools. Under the shelf is a BBQ with the rest of the space left open for stuff needed for a particular trip. If we go kayaking, it will hold the duffel bags with clothes, PFDs, and other gear. If we are going fly fishing, it holds the duffel bags with our fishing vests, reels, etc.

There is a lot of storage room in an EB and one thing to keep in mind is to always store things in the same place after using them. If you use a headlight, put it back in the shelf above the refrigerator. On a group trip to Baja many years ago, a couple in their early 80s complained that they could never find anything in their van. After talking to them for a few minutes, we realized that they never put anything back in the same place after taking it out! Duh...