Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #1

Pleasure Way Lexor on ProMaster Chassis

Pleasure Way introduced a Lexor Class B prototype based on the ProMaster van at the Hershey RV Show. Not a great layout for me but it shows potential due to body width and vertical walls. White carpet up front has to go IMHO.

I'm glad to see the PM is slowly being accepted as a Class B platform. In the mean time I'm still waiting to see what SMB prototypes for the PM. Anyone have info on that PM project?

P.S. -- Still a little confused about which category to include these types of threads in. The Van Body section is clearly labeled for Ford and Chevy.

Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #2

Re: Pleasure Way Lexor on ProMaster Chassis

I like it. The floor plan is typical of what Pleasure Way offers on their Class B's (now and in the past). To get a variation, you'd be looking at a B+ such as their Plateau, Prestige, or Pursuit. Those are built on DRW chassis. My aunt and uncle had a Lexor with a similar floor plan. It was okay for weekend or 3-4 day trips. After that, it was a bit cramped (especially in winter...think Olympic Peninsula). They upgraded to a B+ Pursuit and it was a bit better. Now that both of them are retired and they spend more time on the road, they've upgraded to a Thor Axis.

One thing I have noticed with the ProMaster conversions is the lack of trim on the inside of the rear doors. I really like how SMB, Outside Van and Van Specialties trims the doors to cover up the bare metal...IMHO, it makes the inside look more cozy. Speaking of which, are those trim pieces OEM Ford or something SMB has made?
Old 09-17-2014, 06:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark

One thing I have noticed with the ProMaster conversions is the lack of trim on the inside of the rear doors. I really like how SMB, Outside Van and Van Specialties trims the doors to cover up the bare metal...IMHO, it makes the inside look more cozy. Speaking of which, are those trim pieces OEM Ford or something SMB has made?
Most of the plastic trim is usually Ford or sourced from a third party, but anything you see that looks like wood/upholstery construction is usually SMB, so I guess the answer for most SMBs is both.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #4

Talking of trim. I'd like to know how they make the Lexor look like a window van despite the area behind bathroom not needing windows. Are windows installed and then covered or is it fake glass only?
Old 09-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #5

I would assume they convert a window van.

And, wow, almost $99k for this van. Ouch. I guess that's in line with the Roadtreks and whatnot, but still seems like a lot for a class B van with 2WD.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #6

We owned a 2009 Chevy based Lexor TD. It was really nice... really, really nice and it never made a single creak. Biggest problem was space. There's a bunch of mechanical and what not running down inside the cabinets but pleasantly covered up. That extra refinement cuts into the available space a lot. They really make the "living area" enjoyable but you each get one change of clothes! We used all of our backpacking gear and it was t-i-g-h-t. It's really a touring van, who it's marketed for.

All that being said. One day when we settle back down we could end up with another. As of right now, it was the finest quality RV we have ever owned.

-John
Old 09-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I would assume they convert a window van.

And, wow, almost $99k for this van. Ouch. I guess that's in line with the Roadtreks and whatnot, but still seems like a lot for a class B van with 2WD.
But the windows don't appear to be those of a window van. The bottom part opens like some RVs.

As to price, yeah, that's high. I saw that the prototype was listed around $85K during the RV show which seems like a typical discount. Other Class Bs like the Winnebago Travato often sell for much under list. I'm not sure they are that much higher than an SMB when equally equipped.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandMandi
....cut......They really make the "living area" enjoyable but you each get one change of clothes! We used all of our backpacking gear and it was t-i-g-h-t. It's really a touring van, who it's marketed for.

.....cut......

-John
John, I agree there doesn't seem to be a lot of storage space -- partly due to the amount of space allocated to living/bed area. However, because the rear bed is reportedly 73 inches across, I was thinking shorter campers could eliminate the rear couch entirely and sleep transversely on the dinette part. That would free up a large area in back which I would use for bikes and the like. Perhaps under a platform bed just behind the dinette section.

I'm really looking forward to see what SMB comes up with for the high roof ProMasters. And the low-roof PM also with Penthouse since it should be garageable.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #9

Here's a few pics of a Fiat Ducato (aka Promaster) RV that I saw in Germany this summer. A bit over the top with the fancy graphics (it was some sort of special edition), but a nice-looking van in general. The interior was really nice. I think it was around 65,000 euro IIRC.

Attached Thumbnails
021.jpg   018.jpg   019.jpg  
Old 09-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #10

Attached Thumbnails
020.jpg   017.jpg