Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #1

Family with 3 little kiddos in Sportsmobile?

Hi guys,
what do you think about Family with 3 kids (all under age 6) using Sportsmobile for the weekend trips etc.?
We have Motorhome Clas A to use for our longer trips and love it. There has been a lot of shorter trips where the RV is just not worth of the trouble, plus it is BIG. So we are looking at something smaller.
We thought Pop up, but not liking is as much with really young kiddos. Ok while at the destination, but not so good while traveling and we do make tons of stops. Other trailer now that is similar to driving RV, so not much help here. So Sportsmobile seems to be the option, yep tight option.
We can use the set up with 2 big sofas in the back and pop up top, this will get us sleeping. We are looking at the ones with showers and porter potty. We would have a basket on top or box for our other stuff. We also own tent to hook up behind the truck. We do not mind small spaces for sleeping.
I just am not a big fan with hotels as it seems you get stuck in room with little kiddos a lot. I love that they can run outside all the time while some of them are sleeping in the camper.

Tell me the good or bad.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #2

Re: Family with 3 little kiddos in Sportsmobile?

You'll definitely want the extended body van with your 3 kids. Its definitely possible, but a hurdle you might face is how many of your children will need to be in a forward facing seat (child seat or booster). If none of them need to be in a forward facing seat, then you have a lot of options.

Is there a layout that you like or want? Someone on this forum probably has something similar and can give you the pros/cons of it.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:49 AM   #3

Yes they are all in the forward facing seats
Old 09-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #4

Heres an example of the "50" layout with an extra captains chair. This particular van can only sleep 2 since there isn't a penthouse top, but at least you can get an idea of what the layout would be.

http://sportsmobile.com/preowns/270
Old 09-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #5

Yes we already looked at this one. If I just can get over the no shower thing than we would be golden as there are a lot of options out there.

We still have uncooperative 2 year old
Old 09-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
You'll definitely want the extended body van with your 3 kids. Its definitely possible, but a hurdle you might face is how many of your children will need to be in a forward facing seat (child seat or booster). If none of them need to be in a forward facing seat, then you have a lot of options.
I'm confused. How is this a problem if you're in e.g. an EB50 layout? It only has one shoulder belt though (and two lap belts).

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #7

I do not think it would be a problem in the EB50 layout,but I dont like that layout much. No shower. Dont stone me for that one, but I am momma of some little kiddos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Quote:
I'm confused. How is this a problem if you're in e.g. an EB50 layout? It only has one shoulder belt though (and two lap belts).
Old 09-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBUNCH
I do not think it would be a problem in the EB50 layout,but I dont like that layout much. No shower. Dont stone me for that one, but I am momma of some little kiddos

Quote:
Quote:
Why use up internal space on a shower? It is dead space when you're not using it unless you can convert it to something else. Then you also have to deal with water draining etc. It would be a very cozy shower. I use the outside shower with a privacy tent. Or just hose them off! I would go for a full size RV if I wanted an inside shower.

With an EB50 you can sit them three across the back when driving. Mom and dad could sleep upstairs in the penthouse bunk, and put the three kids downstairs when you fold the bench down.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #9

Yes Anzac. I know I probably need someone talk me into it

And we have Class A to use, but it is a PAIN it is big. Yes nice, but not for short trips and it cost $$$$ in gas
Old 09-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Quote:

I didn't think 3 child seats would fit on the one bench seat. If they can fit, then the 50 would be a good solution.