Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #1

So, I'm still looking for SMB and this one looks promising..

Could I get the community to chime in on pricing:

http://www.sportsmobile.com/z-PO_calif.html

I understand it's 2x4 and an E250. I don't plan to do any rock crawling in Moab but I would like some clearance for rocks and ruts. I think this would fit the bill. Conversion to 4x4 may be an option.

What's the consensus on a 5.4 motor lifespan? I won't be towing anything and am pretty light on the accelerator, I have no problem taking my time getting to where I'm going.

bongcrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: So, I'm still looking for SMB and this one looks promisi

Are you talking about the '04 pop-top, or the '02 fixed top?

I did also see an '01 diesel 4x4.

Herb
Old 09-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #3

Yeah, it's the '04 Pop Top.

Sorry, I guess my link is not showing the particular vehicle. The vehicle I'm interested in is the one at SMB West VIN: HA12218.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Not sure what you need/want, but for the money I like these better.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/preowns/173

http://www.sportsmobile.com/preowns/295

Herb
Old 09-28-2014, 01:01 AM   #5

Seems expensive for an 04, 5.4, 2wd. Its low mileage and looks very clean though. Is that the layout that you are looking for?
Old 09-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Seems expensive for an 04, 5.4, 2wd. Its low mileage and looks very clean though. Is that the layout that you are looking for?
I thought that at first, but the more I look, it has Starcool, a Fiamma awning, very low miles, a really great color and interior, and it is an 04, which is on the newer side IMO for SMBs under $50k.

Bong, I would love to see you get it for 35, but I think it's a great van. I would have absolutely no worries about a 5.4 in that van. Maybe a little underpowered if you ever go 4x4 or tow a trailer often, but my 5.4 with a similar layout and a much heavier and higher CCV pop top did fine. I would recommend a tune from 5-star tuning ($500) and then it will be plenty peppy to move you and your goodies around. Durability wise, they are bulletproof. Mine blew up at 140k and I replaced it, but that was a very rare failure stemming mostly, I think, from my penchant for bad luck. The 'million mile van' was a 5.4, but there are tons of em with 3-400k running around in every fleet, doing just fine.

Also, my personal opinion of that floor plan, it is an extended version of the floor plan we have with Rusty (plenty of pics in my gallery) and we love it. I would REALLY love to have the extended version you have found so I could sleep downstairs, but it is a really useful floor plan. It seats 4 very comfortably, 6 easily and probably has seat belts for 8. Beat that with anything else on the road besides a straight up passenger van! We also really like the walk through floor plan. With the top popped, the front seats turned and the penthouse bed raised you have a lot of walk around space inside. Good luck, that looks like a great van.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #7

Thanks for the input. I'll throw them an offer tomorrow and see if it works out.