Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #1

Why delay on ProMaster?

Any updates? I haven't seen any progress in over a year, which makes me wonder why it has taken so long. Is SMB that busy with other projects or is ProMaster that low a priority? Or are there major design issues holding things up?

Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Why delay on ProMaster?

Same as the cutaway. A bunch of Fords on the line. I was told it would have been at the show but they just didn't get it done in time.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #3

I think they are also in a midst of a recall. I noticed the service lot at the Dodge dealer yesterday was full of new ProMaster RV's. Its rare for an RV dealer to pull units from the sales lot. Usually they would just wait until its sold, and take care of it during "dealer prep".
Old 10-23-2014, 07:34 AM   #4

So what does this mean, that SMB will focus more on Ford 4X4 niche market? I can understand if they want to own that segment because it has far less direct competition, but to ignore ProMaster models for a year suggest to me that there might be an underlying issue.

PMs now make up 70 percent of Euro van campers, Winnebago has had the Travato out for about a year, and dozens of individuals if not smaller one-man companies have completed PM conversions. I can also see a delay with low-roof penthouse model, but why no high roof that only takes interior?

Are they likely waiting for an order to develop first unit, or will they develop a prototype and then try to sell it? How did they handle new vans like Sprinter when they came out?
Old 10-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Actually they're busting their butts on it. The floor is lower so you should be able to walk into it with the top down (depending on your height). The top is being designed to have a stealth look [edit compared to the hard top] so it will be harder to see the top with it down. I think they have a 30 and 50 model on the production line. You must understand that customers who have paid for their vans are 1st in line and SMB is obligated to get them out. SMBW has 50 sprinters coming in soon and most of them have been paid for so they are busy. But they are working on them. I'll grab some pics for you Chance.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #6

I too am suspicious that the recall fixes and other feature improvements based on 2014 feedback are stalling the 2015 ProMaster. I'd love to see any information on Sportsmobile or Ram progress for 2015. Hoping to order once the specs are released. Thanks!
AlexM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #7

All done except top. Another company delaying top for it.
Foxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #8

For those following ProMaster developments, Roadtrek is introducing a nice looking ProMaster model with painted bumpers. The stated goal in the video is to make it look more automotive and stealthy so it will fit in in more neighborhoods. There is a YouTube video showing it under construction, although the last time I went to view it, it had been removed.

Dynamax is also introducing a Class C (some would call it Class B+) with two floorplans. They mention an upgraded suspension for added stability which may be the anticipated wide track for cutaway and cab chassis. With FWD that's a simple and low cost improvement for bodies that are much wider than a standard van. Not sure if that's what they are referring to.

http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/products/rev/
Old 11-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
For those following ProMaster developments, Roadtrek is introducing a nice looking ProMaster model with painted bumpers. The stated goal in the video is to make it look more automotive and stealthy so it will fit in in more neighborhoods. There is a YouTube video showing it under construction, although the last time I went to view it, it had been removed.
[youtube:q4k4vorp]
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #10

I was at smb yesterday and saw the promaster almost done and very cool with walkin with phtop down. it looks like a lower voyager top.
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote