Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #1

scangauge question

does anyone know if it is possible to calibrate the Scangauge for increased tire size and how do you do it? big weekend coming up, new scangauge....this thing is pretty cool and incredibly easy to install.

thanks

Old 07-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #2

well....it turns out that you can set the % DIFFERENCE on the scangauge. but i asked at the dealer to re-set the engine computer for my tire size and he said he could only get it 'close'. so, if i calculate it out based on the original tire size, not knowing what the dealer re-set it to, i'll never get it right. probably easiest to count off mile markers and a stopwatch....i guess.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #3

A GPS could also work to help you calibrate and figure out how much your speedometer is off, if any.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #4

thanks...i agree a GPS would be good. i got one for my birthday, but returned it to get the scangauge! maybe i'll just go get the gps too.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:12 AM   #5

Garage
Joe-
I used a GPS to double check my % difference and it is pretty much spot on now. If I recall i think the adjustment was 8 or 9%. FYI -I'm running 285/75 16's

Also, good to see another Utahn on board - what color van do you have? Probably seen you driving around - definitely a few of us here in the PC/SLC area...

cheers,

-derek
Old 07-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #6

hey Derek--
i'm running the same tires. Since i had the dealer re-adjust the on-board IC, i'm not sure whatt he scangauge will think. I do remember checking mile-markers and figuring about 10% error.

Yeah....my rig is an EB-350 with PH. Dark Green, black wheels. it started life as a passenger van which i gutted. SMB-fresno put on a PH top and i had 4-wheel conversion done in SLC by Advanced 4-Wheel. I built the inside myself, like a lot of folks on here i guess.

how do you add pics on here?

joe
Old 07-03-2008, 09:18 AM   #7

Yes, for those tires, it is 9%.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #8

jack---
thanks. i figured youwould know. Do you think that when i had a re-calibration done at the dealer it would effect it?
Old 07-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #9

I guess that it depends on what they did. The Scangauge connects directly to the computer output plug and then uses the data from the plug connection to give you various readings. If they adjusted the speedometer itself, then the Scangauge will still be giving you the non-adjusted MPH which the Scangauge can then correct by the % setting. If they adjusted the device that outputs the MPH to the onboard computer (and the speedometer), then the Scangauge will be giving you the adjusted speed. But, since the dealer said that he could only get it "close", you should be able to get it more accurate by setting the Scangauge to a specific percentage. Of course, you'll need a way to determine the correct speed in order to make that correction. A GPS is the best way, otherwise have someone pace you for a mile on the freeway and compare their speed to yours via cell phone...
Old 10-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #10

does anyone know where that thread was about scangauge mounting? i found a slick spot to do it and i'd like to share it. i still dont know how to add pictures though. thanks...

(yes, before anyone says it: I can cut a hole in the dashboard, mount the scanguage, and make it look factory but i cant figure out how to post a picture on a forum. lame)[/img]