Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2015, 05:07 AM   #1

Garage
Advice On Quadcopter Brand & Use

Do any of you have a Quadcopter, what brand, which video editing suite do you use/recommend,
Please?
Looking at buying DJ Phantom 2 Vision 1 Quadcopter, and hard case any experience,
Your thoughts?

2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Advice On Quadcopter Brand & Use

I have the Rotorconcepts one that is almost a twin of the phantom but a lot cheaper. Yes the case is good thing to make storage clean and easy. My big difference is flight times are 12 min instead of 20 on the phantom. I use a separate video transmitter and gimbal that works with my controller and streams video from the gopro realtime. I also just use the gopro editor.

I also like that I can go to the importers location anytime and get parts work on a problem. Its a couple miles from my office.

I did not go with the Phantom that came with the camera and gimbals because I heard it would not take a hard landing very well and would break.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #3

I have a DJI Phantom 2 Vision + (Plus). I would have liked to get a setup with a GoPro because the camera is better, but I would have to have spent about $800 more to get the same functionality as the Vision+. If I didn't already have a GoPro, it would have been that much more on top of the extra $800.

I have a GoProfessional hard case (the name and logo colors are similar, but have no relation to the GoPro camera company). I don't have to take the props off to fit it in the case, but I kind of wish I had gotten a smaller case. Taking the props off takes about 20 seconds.

I got the Vision+, an extra battery, a 32GB microSD card, and the hard case from B&H as a package deal.

I've broken or dinged a set of props in 2 crashes and one tip-over on landing. No damage to the rest of the machine. A set of props will run about $35 from DJI. All crashes due to operator error. I now hand catch when landing instead of landing on the ground.

The Phantom works well, but it's a complicated beastie. Read the manual, hop over to PhantomPilots.com, and read the manual again before flying. Then practice with easy moves to start. And please don't screw it up for the rest of us by doing stupid things with it, like flying near aircraft that carry people or airports, and stay below 400 feet.

For editing, I use Adobe Premiere CC, since I have it for other things I do.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

I've got the DJI phantom Vision/Rotorpixel Gimble and the newer Vision+...

If you like to take pics and video and control up down view on the same flight..triggered by you via your ipad or android device the DJI is the one that's been out for awhile..

No crashes with over 50 flights except one which is really my fault.. I had an older battery that I got some desert sands on one of the batteries and it jammed the power switch button.. and I didn't air blast it out like I should have and it dropped from the sky. No major damage luckily, broken propeller only. (had the gimbal camera protectors, get that)

Walkera has two new multicopters that do so but I have no experience with them.

here is a pic with a Vision+ in Borrego:
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #5

Just ordered the Inspire 1 from DJI. Shoots 4k video as well as 1080 P and 12MP stills. Suppose to show up the end of the month. Looking forward to using it.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #6

I have a DJI Phantom II with the Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal to hold my GoPro Hero3+ Black. I went this route only because I already had the GoPro. If that wasn't the case, I would have bought the Vision version with the camera. Problem is you can't take the camera off and use it for other purposes, unless DJI changed that.

I haven't flown it a lot. I need to get out with it more, but I'm busy with so many other things these days.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
Very cool image!

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:01 AM   #8
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
Just ordered the Inspire 1 from DJI. Shoots 4k video as well as 1080 P and 12MP stills. Suppose to show up the end of the month. Looking forward to using it.
I'm jealous. The Inspire 1 is like $3k! Certainly another sweet spot for DJI compared to the rigs that cost $5-8k or more..

I almost got the Inspire 1 for XMas.. (present to myself ) but found out the ground station mode (the autonomous waypoint mode) wasn't quite working..or close to what I've got working for the Visions. Maybe they will have it working by then..

Let us know how it works out.. would love to see the results..

Here is a 1080P video of one of the flights in Anza Borrego / Ocotillo area using the autonomous gps way point mode: (near the end of the video, I fly by camp and pan down and up)
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:02 AM   #9

I have the vision + as well. Turnkey gps enabled copter with HD tilt camera/remote control for camera/fpv/3-axis gimbal all for $1300 is what sold me. My biggest gripe is the camera is not that great. Video quality not as good as GoPro 3. But for the money it offers a lot of value especially when compared to the alternatives.

I love my goprofessional backpack. Pricey but quality unmatched. I can imagine it being awkward carrying a big black pelican like case on hikes or wherever you plan on flying it.

I use the phantom for vacation vids and camping trips. With that said the simplicity of iMovie on my iPad works great for me.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
I'm jealous. The Inspire 1 is like $3k! Certainly another sweet spot for DJI compared to the rigs that cost $5-8k or more..

I almost got the Inspire 1 for XMas.. (present to myself ) but found out the ground station mode (the autonomous waypoint mode) wasn't quite working..or close to what I've got working for the Visions. Maybe they will have it working by then..

Let us know how it works out.. would love to see the results..

Here is a 1080P video of one of the flights in Anza Borrego / Ocotillo area using the autonomous gps way point mode: (near the end of the video, I fly by camp and pan down and up)
Yea it is expensive and bleeding edge technology but am retiring and want to purchase my retirement toys beforehand. Am willing to live through the software development issues too. They have already issued a new version of the software. It was a hard decision between the Vision 2+ and the Inspire but as I thought about it the Inspire felt like the right one to get. I liked the idea that the camera is detachable, the landing gear moves out of the way, that it comes with its own carrying case, that it has indoor flight capability, and some of the other options. Will post some video after I get it up and running.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote