Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #1

Looking for advice, am I about to pay too much?

Hi, I'm new on this forum. I also posted this on another forum as well. I hope that's not a problem. I need some input before it's too late.

I've been reading as much as I can to educate myself. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2003 E350 EB 4x4 7.3 PSD. I need some help determining if I'm about to pay way too much. It's a passenger van with 150,000 miles. The 4x4 conversion with a 4" lift is by Salem Kroger. The seller and I have agreed on $18,500. My plan is build in into build something similar to the EB50 floor plan and eventually add the Penthouse...and more. I realize that the 7.3PSD and 4x4 are getting harder to find, but, am I about to pay too much? I appreciate whatever help I can get here.
Thanks

robs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:23 AM   #2

Re: Looking for advice, am I about to pay too much?

Depending on condition, I think that is reasonable.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:30 AM   #3

Welcome Robs

You are asking for answer to a difficult question. Pictures would be very helpful as would an equipment list.

If it is basic van plus SK 4x4 in clean, rust free body condition. Stock wheels or at least nothing special, no power windows / locks, cruise. Interior is uninsulated cargo, and clean, no rust. Engine looks clean, runs well, has no maintance records but looks cared for and reasonably well maintained. Stock painted bumpers, tow package, etc. stock as tank modded for transfer case.

Given the above, I would not consider that a great deal and might continue looking.

Give us bit more to go on, what your plans/budget are improvements, skill set and time for DIY, and envisioned usage and I am pretty sure you will get very informed opinions

Just one thought, Ray
Old 01-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #4

Hi Ray, thanks for the response. The van is pretty much a stock XLT. 7.3 PowerStroke, 4x4 with 4" lift. We are planning on moving to Alaska in June. I will be using it to tow a large trailer (20' or so...) jammed packed with all of our stuff. I plan on doing some camper conversion (probably won't be able to get it 100% complete by them). I have the ability to do a decent job with the build out. I am considering having a penthouse installed. After we get settled in AK, we will be doing a bunch of camping/fishing/hunting, etc. The van currently has 22" wheels with worn tires. I will be changing over to 285/70/17s, at least from what I've read, they fit...correct? [Please advise if anyone knows different.] I had a mechanic check out the van. It needs front end work, ie, ball joints/tie rod/shocks, etc.

I appreciate your input.
Attached Thumbnails
00W0W_gmMjePBajcC_600x450.jpg   00W0W_gmMjePBajcC_600x450.jpg   00Y0Y_9hzP8tdK8Sl_600x450.jpg  
Old 01-25-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
Site Team

One thing to keep in mind is that in very cold climates, a window van will be much more difficult to keep warm than a cargo van, in you're going to camp in it.

Does look like a nice rig though.

Herb
Old 01-25-2015, 11:06 AM   #6

Wow, 22" wheels! You'll like the 17s with a bit more rubber between the rim and the road.

I can't really speak for whether you are paying too much but if that motor could easily to another 150,000. Also, keep in mind a 4x4 conversion on the van is worth $12-$18K.

There's a couple of excellent ball joint threads on this forum if you need help there.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #7

I appreciate the responses.

BroncoHauler: Most likely I will "black out" all of the windows from the middle of the van, backwards. Then heavily insulate them and cover them with some sort of wall covering. I'm not sure yet of the type of covering just yet.

JoeH: thanks for the tip on the ball joint thread. I'll be checking all that out. Do you know if the 285/70/17s will fit?
Old 01-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #8

This is a killer ball joint thread. http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic. ... ball+joint

The 17" rims should fit fine unless the PO but some monster brake package on. Just make sure to get the correct offset and backspacing. Not sure about the salem Kroger conversion. There are others more knowledgeable on the forum than me on that stuff.

But since you will be pulling a trailer I would check into the gear ratio. What size tires are on those 22" rims? For conquering the frozen tundra of the great white north I would think you would want at least 4.10 at a minimum.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
What size tires are on those 22" rims?
Great question....depending on what's on there you can use an online tire calculator to see how close they are width and diameter-wise to 285/70-17's.

FWIW, I have 285/70-17's on my van (Dana 60 leaf spring front axle), and I've got some rubbing on the rear edge of the front fender wells even after some trimming. YMMV.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote